Recommend A Brewery I can Take The Missus To Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husky said:
Moon dog is the only one on that list I haven't been to. Web site is limited but says they do pizzas, any ideas what beers they have on tap?
Bad Sheppard = No hoppy beers currently
Boatrocker = No food
Mountain Goat = Banned after selling out........ Although I do still buy "The Naz" when available
Wolf of the Willows & Bad Sheppard are in the same place - plenty of hoppy beers between them I would have thought.

Heard good things about Stomping Ground.

Have had one Moon Dog beer, the Mack Daddy Dark Ale. Probably one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Moon dog is an awesome venue, beers are a bit left of centre but that may suit, options change reguarly, food is from the caravan outside so if she wants posh probably not the right place but it really is a 'interesting' place in a good way and if not to your liking mountain goat and lots of other decent pubs in the vacinity

If their beers are well made and left of centre then they've come a long way and I'll have another crack.

Left of centre is the least of my worries* but I do really, really appreciate well made beer.

*most of my pleasure deviates from the centre.

manticle said:
If their beers are well made and left of centre then they've come a long way and I'll have another crack.
Left of centre is the least of my worries* but I do really, really appreciate well made beer.
*most of my pleasure deviates from the centre.
Based on my recent experience you'll be sorely disappointed. Left of centre still means shit beer. Last visit I was asked to pay about $15 for a pint of Chernobyl tap water (it wasn't their name, they're Not quite ironic hipster enough, but thats what it looked like). I cant recall tasting a worse beer

Stomping Ground is good, Bad Shepherd/Wolf is good.

Temple Brewery in Brunswick East is said to be a good setup (haven't been in so I don't know). Bonus about this one is literally within a 400m radius you have Alehouse project, B. East ( burgers) and two of the best wood fired pizza places going. Those being Woodstock and 400 Gradi.

Yeah temple was great last time I was there - decent food, good view of the brewery, tasty beer, lovely people.

manticle said:
Yeah temple was great last time I was there - decent food, good view of the brewery, tasty beer, lovely people.
(OT) Do you know if Temple do growler fills?

I'm not sure, sorry. A couple of years since my last visit now but easy enough to find out.

manticle said:
I'm not sure, sorry. A couple of years since my last visit now but easy enough to find out.
Yeah, might give them a ring. Tried their Anytime Ale a few weeks ago and loved it. However, hard to find in bottlos. Their mid-stength Bicycle Ale being the more popular it seems. Thanks.

manticle said:
If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? I am no longer infected
My nipples explode with delight!

Not a brewery, but meatmaiden usually have 6 craft beers on tap, and the food is great if American BBQ is your kind of thing.

Thanks for the input people. To improve my chances of success i decided to diversify.
Started @ Dainton who had a few IPAs and some good pizza. Missus was happy and I like their beers so all good.
Then went to boatrocker and had a few Ramjets and the missus also liked. Very friendly atmosphere with a few other families (we had the 3 month old). No shiny stainless to look at was the only down side.
Final stop was 2 Brothers. Missus was done with breweries so she dropped me and went to DFO 5 mins away, good plan! Not a fan of the beers here and theyre out of their IPA and DIPA so wasnt expecting much.
Missus fav was Boat rocker. Interestingly all three serve the same four pizzas on their menu. Great way to spend a day!

Back