Recirculating Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the approval of the minister of war and finance now that the tax return has arrived, I have finaly ordered my march pump. This is the last hurdle of my new beer sculpture. While it is a three tier gravity fed system, (pics to follow shortly) I intend to pump the wort from under the grain bed, through a heat exchanger in hlt and then back onto the top of the grain to adjust mash temperature. The geting the wort out is easy as I use a false bottom on the mash tun keg, it is how to get the heated wort back into the top of the mash tun.

Do people use their sparge arm (bit woried about small particals cloging the holes) or is common practice to use a seperate fiting in the side of the keg below wort height? All vessels in the system are kegs and welding stainless isn't an issue.

Regards Crazy ;)

Crazy said:
Do people use their sparge arm (bit woried about small particals cloging the holes) or is common practice to use a seperate fiting in the side of the keg below wort height? All vessels in the system are kegs and welding stainless isn't an issue.
Regards Crazy ;)
[post="71756"][/post]​

Hey Crazy

You don't wont to use a spray arm as that is going to oxydise the wort which is bad. As you recirculate, the grain bed will slowly be pulled down and you should have a 1cm or 2 or wort above the bed. I have a manifold arrangement which sits on top of the grain bed, but below top of the wort level.

Cheers
Pedro

brew_004.jpg

This is a pic of my manifold i use in my RIMS set-up.
Very effective and as Gulf says it sits just below the surface of the mash so no splashing of the wort..

Thanks all

Knew it would be an easy solution :D

Latest posts

Back