Recipe's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme

Reaction score
I'm after a Boags Premium recipe and a Becks recipe. If anyone could help me out would appreciate very much. Cheers.

from the Boags website:

Tasting Notes

James Boags Premium Lager is a European style lager brewed from the finest quality pilsener malts. This beer is fermented at a lower temperature than most Australian lagers and employs an extended maturation period. These combine with a mixture of kettle and late hopping to yield a crisp pale lager that perfectly complements fine food.

Original Gravity: 1045
Final Gravity: 1005-1008
Colour: 6-8
Alc/vol: 5%

Jovial Monk

Looking at that recipe this "premium" lager clearly has a heap of sugar added

JM

Jovial_Monk said:
Looking at that recipe this "premium" lager clearly has a heap of sugar added

JM
[post="57741"][/post]​

where you looking at the same recipe?, the mash recipe has no added sugar, and the kit recipe only quotes a brew improver, which may only be 50% sugar.

HOWEVER to brew an Australian style lager, sugar is as important as the malt. If you care to dive into the history of Australias finest beers you will see that they not only add a heap of cane sugar, the also add rice, and corn grits, and sugar, XXXX once boasted proudly that they use 100% australian sugar in there brew. So to make a clone of this style, would you not want to do the same thing?

Back to answer the origonal question.....If you want to make a Australian Lager similar to boags or J ames Squire, the recipe from OCB is very good, I have brewed it many times for the houseguests that wont dare to be diferent and taste somthing with character, but the late hop additions get there tastebuds and nostrils going. I also think the late hops help with the head, I wouldnt use anything other than saflager for this, i like to keep the profile of the yeast nutral for this style.

I recal on Graham Sanders radio show, some discussion, wheather or not Australia has its own style of beer, and from memory they decided that we do, A pale, un offensive, low hop profile lager. And it was discussed as to why it became that way, IMVHO it is a tru style, and, if you want to test your brewing skills, i think you should give it a go. Its very easy to hide off flavors in a heavy stout or a belgian strong Ale, But try doing it in somthing that has verry little flavor to start with......And then try and get POR hops to taste acceptable (yes this can be done)

To make a generic Aussie lager like fosters, Tooheys, or VB, I would use a coopers, Brewcraft, or whatever kit, add a basic brew improver, that does have DCS and Sugar in it, but ferment with saflager, and ferment at a nice low temp, Lager for a few weeks and then bottle or keg......its pretty simple

FOr a part mash i would add some rice flakes, and some corn grits.

FOr a full mash.......Ok i wouldent bother anymore with a full mash, ill be honest, if im going to brew all day, i want to brew somthing nice, but thats why we can still go back and brew from kits or do a part mash.

Back