Recipes for soft c*cks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mall

Reaction score
Hi guys, all (mostly) of my brews are malty, hop forward IPA's. I keep Maris Otter, Munich and Crystal Med and Dark malts on hand at all times and having recently gotten a mill through the bulk buy, I have heaps of choice on recipes.

Some of my mates who swing by just cannot handle the flavour/hop hit coming from the kegerator and will just bring the usual crap. Others can't get enough of my brews.

So, any suggestions on recipes for those less able to appreciate good beer?

Munich Helles.
Belgian Blonde

The interesting part of the question - exactly what part of the flavour profile do they have issues with?
Personally, I don't like a strong back-of-the-tongue lingering bitterness, I really like NEIPA, and I love stupidly-bitter IPA - but only if the bitterness is balanced with the sweet malt.

Ask them it describe what they're tasting, which part of the flavour profile they enjoy, and what they don't.

Last edited:
100% Marris otter - nice colour, some malt flavour - mashed at 66c so not dry, target a 4.5% ABV

FWH = 5ibu
@ 10m = 12ibu

Dry hopped with 1.5g per L

Clean US05 yeast @ 18c

You can experiment with the hops you like or new ones.

100% Marris otter - nice colour, some malt flavour - mashed at 66c so not dry, target a 4.5% ABV

FWH = 5ibu
@ 10m = 12ibu

Dry hopped with 1.5g per L

Clean US05 yeast @ 18c

You can experiment with the hops you like or new ones.

Thanks Dan Pratt, looks the go. I also will have a crack at the Bright Ale clone mentioned.

Hi guys, all (mostly) of my brews are malty, hop forward IPA's. I keep Maris Otter, Munich and Crystal Med and Dark malts on hand at all times and having recently gotten a mill through the bulk buy, I have heaps of choice on recipes.

Some of my mates who swing by just cannot handle the flavour/hop hit coming from the kegerator and will just bring the usual crap. Others can't get enough of my brews.

Usual crap? Millions drink the usual crap and a few 1000 drink craft brews.

I love both but really hate this type of attitude for something that's a niche thing but people love blowing off how superior they are.

Just saying.

Not saying I'm superior at all....but I do enjoy a better a beer because I have learnt the craft from all youse!! >_<

I just do coopers pale ale for my mates that don't appreciate my beer. Cheap and easy with little to no effort.

If you want some recipes that are interesting to brew and also have broader appeal try some of the recipes in Bronzed Brews or 6 O'Clock Beers (i think). These are historical Australian and although most are ales they are clean easy drinking beers.

I had a bunch of brewers over last Saturday and my 1947 Cascade Pale ale was well enjoyed and would certainly not be offensive to anyone. I also made a 1917 Tooths clone that my neighbour described as like pure blonde. What he was really trying to say was that it was clean and easy drinking!

Don't be a jerk about it would be my first piece of advice. Everyone's beer journey is different.

My second piece of advice is this recipe:

60% pilsner malt (but any base malt will do).
40% rice (weigh it raw then cook it, then mash it with the malt).
Aim for around 4 to 5% abv.
Bitter to around 20 IBU with noble hops. Add some for aroma if you want, but keep the IBUs low. This is not a bitter beer.
Ferment with us-05 at 18 or 19 degrees.
Crash chill well, make it very bubbly and enjoy how clear it'll get.

Goes well on a hot day, with milder or sweeter foods (IPA and seafood or icecream isn't that great). You will grow to love this no-nonsense beer.

I just do coopers pale ale for my mates that don't appreciate my beer. Cheap and easy with little to no effort.
I was gonna suggest this. Even though you have a full grain bill at your disposal. Dont think i have found a beer drinker yet that will knock back a stock standard coopers aust pale. All the "volume" home brewers i know pretty much have this as their staple brew.

Some people cannot be saved. I have people at my work who only drink Carlton draft. Won't touch anything else. Definitely not something as 'full on' as a coopers pale ale :O

Not saying I'm superior at all....but I do enjoy a better a beer because I have learnt the craft from all youse!! >_<
I'm with you mate, I got lazy over the summer and didn't brew for quite a while and run out of grog then had to buy a carton of carlton draught, really it tasted crappy and wasn't a great experience drinking it. Give me my own brew anytime, it has a taste that I have worked on over the years and I love it!

Some people cannot be saved. I have people at my work who only drink Carlton draft. Won't touch anything else. Definitely not something as 'full on' as a coopers pale ale :O
Where do u work? CUB?

Don't be a jerk about it would be my first piece of advice. Everyone's beer journey is different.

My second piece of advice is this recipe:t

60% pilsner malt (but any base malt will do).
40% rice (weigh it raw then cook it, then mash it with the malt).
Aim for around 4 to 5% abv.
Bitter to around 20 IBU with noble hops. Add some for aroma if you want, but keep the IBUs low. This is not a bitter beer.
Ferment with us-05 at 18 or 19 degrees.
Crash chill well, make it very bubbly and enjoy how clear it'll get.

Goes well on a hot day, with milder or sweeter foods (IPA and seafood or icecream isn't that great). You will grow to love this no-nonsense beer.
Rice is not the best to work with in the mash when its cooked a small amount increases in volume greatly would suggest starting out with smaller percentage first if have not used rice before .

Sorry meant to say , id tell them to go and get a 6 pack of gold , and enjoy the beer myself . Some people who have been drinking dreadful beer for years will never be able to appreciate a beer that actually has some flavour.
I feel for these poor souls.

Rice is not the best to work with in the mash when its cooked a small amount increases in volume greatly would suggest starting out with smaller percentage first if have not used rice before .
Never noticed that but I will keep an eye out for it. Cheers

Latest posts

Back