RecipeDB - William's Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

WSB
Reaction score

William's Imperial Stout

Stout - Imperial Stout
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

10 minute addition is in the kettle.
0 minute addition is in the no-chill cube.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.6 kg JWM Roast Barley
0.6 kg JWM Caramalt
0.3 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.3 kg TF Dark Crystal
0.3 kg TF Brown Malt
3 kg Generic DME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
60 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)
46 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
46 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

3000 ml White Labs WLP007 - Dry English Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.106 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.027 (calc)
  • Bitterness 47.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 10.38%
  • Colour 127 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

The beer brewed from this recipe placed 1st in the NSW Comp 2011 run by HUB. I'm very pleased with the results and thought I'd share it in the database.

Looks fairly no- nonsense and straight forward Josh, many thanks for sharing the recipe. Its probably not that significant, but I presume you'd mash this fairly high? Spec malts in at mashout as well, or for the whole mash?
How is it tasting after a while in bottles, obviously fairly good with that result?! :icon_cheers:

Looks fairly no- nonsense and straight forward Josh, many thanks for sharing the recipe. Its probably not that significant, but I presume you'd mash this fairly high? Spec malts in at mashout as well, or for the whole mash?
How is it tasting after a while in bottles, obviously fairly good with that result?! :icon_cheers:

All grains mashed for the full 60 minutes. Mash temp 67-68C.

G'Day Josh,

Was looking at putting this one down in December as something that can sit in the secondary while I'm out of town. Pretty excited about giving it a crack, as the LDME brings it into the realms of possibility for my BIAB setup. I did have a few questions though:

1. Is the 0min addition just at flame out? I've seen a few people use this to signify dry hopping.

2. Do you no chill?

That's about it. Congrats on the result and thanks for sharing :icon_cheers:

G'Day Josh,

Was looking at putting this one down in December as something that can sit in the secondary while I'm out of town. Pretty excited about giving it a crack, as the LDME brings it into the realms of possibility for my BIAB setup. I did have a few questions though:

1. Is the 0min addition just at flame out? I've seen a few people use this to signify dry hopping.

2. Do you no chill?

That's about it. Congrats on the result and thanks for sharing :icon_cheers:

Whoops, fixed up the times and have clarified it in the brewing notes.

10 minute addition is in the kettle 10 minutes from the end. 0 minute addition is in the no-chill cube. Yes, I no-chill.

Back