RecipeDB - Try Again Hefeweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warra48

I've drunk all my homebrew and I'm still worried.
Reaction score

Try Again Hefeweizen

Wheat - Weizen/Weissbier
All Grain
* * * * * 9 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Very simple single infusion at 64.8C. Was planning decoctions, but decided to be lazy, and despite the single infusion, this turned out to be my best hefeweizen to date. Nicely balanced aroma between cloves and subtle banana, lovely body and flavour. Reminds me a lot of Erdinger I can get on tap locally. OG 1.051, Fg 1.008.
Fermented at 17.5C.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.45 kg Weyermann Pilsner
2.45 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Carahell

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
32 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
10 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

1500 ml Wyeast Labs 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.055 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 15.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 5.33%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 11 days

Hey Warra48 I havent done a Hefe Wiezen yet but it is on the cards & I recon youre simple recipe will get a run from me

I have been eyeballing the data base & I think its docs hefe which is a simple recipe too which caught my eye

He said the same thing as you after trying heaps of ways the easy single infusion was his best to date not to say a decotion wouldnt be better but for a newbe AGer this seams a good intro for me into Hefe Wiezen

Cheers mate will give you a feed back on my attempt

Thanks Rude.

BTW, the 5 star rating was an accident. I hit the wrong button while trying to modify the recipe.

Am considering using tank water for this one. Any suggestions on mineral/salt additions to achieve the desired style?

My local water is fairly soft, this is the profile:

Port Macquarie
PH: 7.0

Calcium: 11.3
Magnesium: 3.9
Sodium: 12.0
Sulfate: 3.6
Chloride: 18.0
Bicarbonate: 44.7

I just added 3 gr of Chalk to the mash, and 3 gr of Chalk to the sparge. Didn't do anything else to it.

hey, smashed this out about 10 days ago and im just wondering how it will turn out in regards to chilling it?
im guessing the recipe means just bulk prime straight from fermenter, but how will it turn out if i crash chill it for a couple of days? Im guessing it will be semi-filtered type of weizen (kristallweizen?)... was maybe thinking of doing half of each way and see how it goes
any thought would be appreciated
cheers

hey, smashed this out about 10 days ago and im just wondering how it will turn out in regards to chilling it?
im guessing the recipe means just bulk prime straight from fermenter, but how will it turn out if i crash chill it for a couple of days? Im guessing it will be semi-filtered type of weizen (kristallweizen?)... was maybe thinking of doing half of each way and see how it goes
any thought would be appreciated
cheers

try again?

Here I was just about to put my first recipe on the database and bugger me I found this. Funnily enough I created the same recipe by chance (or skill <_< ).
Warra, this is just a sensational beer. I have people lining up for this one. Just for kicks I chucked some nelson sauvin at flameout because I had a bit leftover.
I step mashed with the Hermit 55C 64C 72C 78C and used Boh pils.
This will be a housebeer.
Great recipe.
cheers
BBB

I agree, BBB. This is a favourite of mine. Tettnanger is fantastic in this too. :icon_drool2:

Brewed this last weekend and its now cubed and ready to go as soon as I have the time to get a starter going!

I absolutely love erdinger cloudy at my local german restaurant, if this tastes remotely like it i will be so impressed!!

I used Joe white pilsner instead of Weyermann and I ran out of carahell so i used carapills instead. Also my LHBS don't stock Wyeast so I plan on using WLP300 Hefeweizen ale yeast.

Will i get similar results to the original recipe even though I've butchered the crap out of it????

Brewed this last weekend and its now cubed and ready to go as soon as I have the time to get a starter going!

I absolutely love erdinger cloudy at my local german restaurant, if this tastes remotely like it i will be so impressed!!

I used Joe white pilsner instead of Weyermann and I ran out of carahell so i used carapills instead. Also my LHBS don't stock Wyeast so I plan on using WLP300 Hefeweizen ale yeast.

Will i get similar results to the original recipe even though I've butchered the crap out of it????
Should still be nice, mine wasn't the exact recipe either. The carahell gives it a nice touch of sweetness imho. Let us know what you think.
Cheers
BBB

Back