RecipeDB - The Hunt for Brown October

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score

The Hunt for Brown October

Specialty - Märzen/Oktoberfest
Extract
* * * * - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

-Im using up some bits and pieces to get rid of the last of my extract gear.
- Aiming to making a more traditional octoberfest beer not the newer fancypants pale octoberfest.
First 4 grain amounts are actualy Morgan Masterblend Caramalt and Dark Crystal Extract, but the database doesnt have these. The grain amounts are representitive of the actual grain used to make the morgans extract.
- Yeast is actually Weihenstephan lager yeast aka 34/70

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.8 kg JWM Caramalt
0.8 kg Bairds Dark Crystal
0.55 kg Bairds Golden Promise Pale Ale Malt
0.55 kg Bairds Vienna Malt
0.3 kg Weyermann Vienna
0.2 kg Weyermann Munich II
1 kg Generic LME - Light
0.5 kg Muntons LME - Wheat

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
50 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 5mins)
40 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 60mins)
30 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 30mins)
20 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.054 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 40.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.06%
  • Colour 49 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 21 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 3 days

Ive deleted out the 100g of Weyermann Melanoidin and dropppeed 10g of Hallertauer @ 60.

I'll also state again that the 1st 4 grains in the recipe are actualy Morgan Masterblend Caramalt and Dark Crystal Extract, but the database doesnt have these. So ive taken the supposed grain composition of the cans from the website and added to the recipe as if they were grain additions.

Im temped to reduce the IBUs some more as octoberfests arent meant to be that bitter, but then again its a very malty Occy so it needs some more bitterness.

anyways, its going into the fermentor tonight.

How is this going?

Looking at doing my first full extract without the usual Coopers Kits I do. Will probably use Saf-23 dried yeast though.

she's still in the fermentor. its only just been over 2 weeks. needs another week fermenting, so at the weekend i'll bring up to 18C for a D-rest for 2 days and then put into keg for cold conditioning for at least another 2 weeks before drinking.

The 34/70 yeast went well. theres a health amount of yeaskcake at the bottom. I would recomend you trying to use an authentic yeast for the job. you dont have to use liquid yeast. a dired yeast like the 34/70 is fine. its add characteristic to the beer. but any lager yeast will do. you'll just miss out on some extra yeast characteristics.

I'll let you know what it tastes like when i keg it.

Cheers.

I have a Pils styled beer fermenting now with a south german style liquid yeast. I may use that. Thanks for the recipe and info!

:icon_cheers:

ok final tasting results are in...bloody nice beer! very mourish. I knocked back 3 pots quicker than you could say CUB. Now my only critisisms are that its slightly too dark. but i sort of knew it would be because of the morgans dark malt. and it was slightly cloudy. but it is thr first few pots from the keg so its picking up the yeast, so that will clear up soon.

not sure it quite fits the bill of octoberfest/marzen but its very tasty. great little beer. actually I can draw some sililarities between it and the 2 brothers chief beer.

Back