RecipeDB - Stickyback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score

Stickyback

Bitter - English Ordinary Bitter
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Easy drinking bitter. Primarily formulated to 'road test' the Sticklebract hop. A little underhwhelmed in terms of the hop's character. Mild earthy/piney not dissimilar to British hops. Not really a worthy substitute though.
Please note 2nd zero minute addition of 20 grams are dry hops.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.4 kg TF Crystal
0.2 kg Weyermann Caraaroma
0.1 kg TF Amber Malt
0.04 kg Weyermann Carafa Special III

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Sticklebract (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 0mins)
25 g Sticklebract (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Sticklebract (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 0mins)
15 g Sticklebract (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 30mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Coopers - Cooper Ale
45L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.04 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.01 (calc)
  • Bitterness 30 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 3.89%
  • Colour 24 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

whoops...how silly am I? grabs the hops to do this recipe, printed off the recipe and in the print off adjusted the grain bill for a smaller batch, I did not adjust the hops. :eek: Looked at the hops on the day, and thought...mmm they seem a bit much. quick comparison with other recipes, yeah probably a bit much but shouldn't be too bad. can't be too out of whack, have done a few recipes recently with same sort of level of hops. Can't be bothered checking the internet to check (dial up and far too slow) dump in the hops...

Result - Hops for a 45 litre batch in a 16 litre batch...instead of IBU of around 29, I'll get 78. Might be a tad bitter :lol: , plenty of flavour as well. will certainly be a test run for the hops :rolleyes:

whoops...how silly am I? grabs the hops to do this recipe, printed off the recipe and in the print off adjusted the grain bill for a smaller batch, I did not adjust the hops. Looked at the hops on the day, and thought...mmm they seem a bit much. quick comparison with other recipes, yeah probably a bit much but shouldn't be too bad. can't be too out of whack, have done a few recipes recently with same sort of level of hops. Can't be bothered checking the internet to check (dial up and far too slow) dump in the hops...

Result - Hops for a 45 litre batch in a 16 litre batch...instead of IBU of around 29, I'll get 78. Might be a tad bitter , plenty of flavour as well. will certainly be a test run for the hops

RK With a hop like Sticklebract you may find it an acquired taste. At those levels a "very" acquired taste. :lol: YMMV As I stated in the recipe notes I must confess it's not a hop I particularly care for. Maybe a bit too piney for most.

You could always change it to "Norsca Ale". :D

Warren -

will certainly be interesting. Its in the fermenter at the mo with 1026.

I don't mind a bitter beer, I don't mind if its a tad too much in the flavour, the benefit of 16 litre batches...but it should be bloody interesting. I'll be having a tester out of the fermenter tonight when I get home. If its too much I'll have a think about what I can do with it...can always get a couple of tins o goo or mash a bit more grain to make a bigger batch and give it to my family :lol:

will be sure to report back the result of the flavour and whether its ok...

Back