RecipeDB - Somerset Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheridan69

Reaction score

Somerset Gold

Cider - American Amber Ale
Partial
* * * * * 6 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is my attempt at a Bulmers / Magners dry clone. I think it's pretty close (if not better LOL).

What I really like about it it that its really easy to make and it SUPERB after only 3 weeks conditioning. The combination of ingredients make for a depth of character you won't believe. There might not be any cider apples in there, but we can add the acid and tarte flavours they would normally impart with other simple ingredients.

This recipe is for a 5 litre experimental batch that I made, but you can multiply it up to suit your needs. The acid in the lemon and the tannins in the tea make this super thirst quencher while the combination of lemon and honey give it heaps of character.

Somerset Gold 5Litres (1 Gallon)
========================
2.4L Apple (Just Juice)
2.4L Apple & Pear (Just Juice)
Juice of half a lemon
250mls strong Liptons tea
100gms Honey (diluted with hot water for easy mixing)
3.5 gms Favorite Yeast

1. Steep tea bag in about 250mls of boiling water, add juice of lemon and honey. stir honey until dissolved.
2. Cover with cling file and let cool down.
3. Fill fermenter with juices (this should equal 75% apple and 25% pear)
4. Add Honey Lemon tea liquid.
5. Pitch yeast - I used left over pack of Coopers kit yeast. Probably an ale yeast. If using a champagne yeast the end product may end up very dry.

Primary for 14 days (16-24C)

This tastes great straight out of the fermenter as a 'Scrumpy' but tastes even better when conditioned for 2-3 weeks.
5L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 0%
  • Colour 0 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Putting this one down today, making it to 20L (have multiplied the recipe x 4), really looking forward to trying this in about 6 weeks.

Sounds very nice. I've been looking for a Bulmers clone. Do you think the Coopers yeast is the best one for it. Suppose it is a good idea if you haven't got a fridge. My ciders have taken ages to ferment.

Sounds very nice. I've been looking for a Bulmers clone. Do you think the Coopers yeast is the best one for it. Suppose it is a good idea if you haven't got a fridge. My ciders have taken ages to ferment.

I wondered that myself. I've used 2 packs of coopers ale yeast (total 14g, based on the recipe being multiplied by 4) left over from other kits where I have bought a better quality yeast, will be very interested to see how it turns out.

This is my first 'all-juice' cider, I've made the Blackrock cider before & it was pretty average.

Im going to make this recipe, i will be using crown tallies , should 1 teaspoon of dextrose be enough to prime and gass the bottles, thanks

hi Fellas,

i thinking of doing this one as well? but i have the Briggalow's Apple Cider kit for a base... was going to add the juice etc in addition to the kit.
Does anyone know what the ABV % for this baby? I want to juice it up to around 7-9%+ if its not already.

Found it to be really dry for my tastes but everyone that has tasted it think it's fantastic. Going to try sweetening this with a little bit of apple juice added to the glass.

I have about a dozen bottles left, cracked one the other night, not to dry for me.
But I used a white wine strain, which didnt finish too dry, with lots of apple flavour coming through.
SWMBO likes it a lot better now with age as well.
IMHO I would make it again for Summer

Would adding some LDME to this add for a bit of depth and more residual sweetness? Maybe 200g to this 5L batch?

Thinking of makin this one, anyone tried it with champagne yeast, think that would make it too dry? only my 3rd brew and first cider so some info would be much appreciated!

I made this using real apples that I juiced and 4L of store bort stuff made about 7L
. had a taste today its a bit tart .....could i sweeten it ? maybe with lactose sugar?

Somerset Gold

Partial
* * * * * 6 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is my attempt at a Bulmers / Magners dry clone. I think it's pretty close (if not better LOL).

What I really like about it it that its really easy to make and it SUPERB after only 3 weeks conditioning. The combination of ingredients make for a depth of character you won't believe. There might not be any cider apples in there, but we can add the acid and tarte flavours they would normally impart with other simple ingredients.

This recipe is for a 5 litre experimental batch that I made, but you can multiply it up to suit your needs. The acid in the lemon and the tannins in the tea make this super thirst quencher while the combination of lemon and honey give it heaps of character.

========================
2.4L Apple (Just Juice)
Juice of half a lemon
3.5 gms Favorite Yeast

1. Steep tea bag in about 250mls of boiling water, add juice of lemon and honey. stir honey until dissolved.
5. Pitch yeast - I used left over pack of Coopers kit yeast. Probably an ale yeast. If using a champagne yeast the end product may end up very dry.

This tastes great straight out of the fermenter as a 'Scrumpy' but tastes even better when conditioned for 2-3 weeks.
5L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Final Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 0%
  • Colour 0 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Somerset Gold

Partial
* * * * * 6 Votes

Brewer's Notes

========================
2.4L Apple (Just Juice)
Juice of half a lemon
3.5 gms Favorite Yeast

5L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Final Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 0%
  • Colour 0 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Latest posts