RecipeDB - SMaSH Simcoe IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micblair

Reaction score

SMaSH Simcoe IPA

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* - - - - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

A touch of Cara was used to get this as close as possible to the BJCP style guidelines for an AIPA, hence the 'semi' in SMaSH.

Stepped mashed at 61C for 40 mins; 68C for 30 mins. 60 minute boil. Immersion chiller used to cool wort to 40-45C.

Note: this was one of two brews, experimenting with single hop varietals. The other was all Amarillo, hopped at the same time intervals and to achieve equivalent IBU's.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5.25 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
0.125 kg JWM Caramalt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
60 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 0mins)
45 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 5mins)
30 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 20mins)
15 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

125 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale

Misc

1 tsp Gypsum
0.5 tablet Whirfloc
22.5L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.061 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 58.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 5.99%
  • Colour 12 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 5 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Yes SMaSH is a bit of a misnoma, but that is explained in the recipe notes and the recipe subtitle to keep the beer close as possible to the BJCP style guide. Total proportion of second grain is less than 3% :icon_cheers:

Yes SMaSH is a bit of a misnoma, but that is explained in the recipe notes and the recipe subtitle to keep the beer close as possible to the BJCP style guide. Total proportion of second grain is less than 3% :icon_cheers:

If you wanted to poke more holes, you could say it's not an IPA either as it 61 IBU's.

Hey mate,
have you tried this one? how does it taste?

i'm curious how the simcoe goes on its own.

Hey mate,

Only the sort, hopefully fermenting as we speak. Let u know when its done.

Hey mate,

It goes well. In NZ Jo from Liberty does Simcoe with 100% GP or Kolsh and both are highly rated. He also has an Amarillo version from what I have read.

yeah I did a split batch on the BM (mashing 50L, and doing two separate boils) one with Amarillo, one with Simcoe. The final volumes weren't identical so I had to blend some boiled DME/water to adjust for the angels share whilst keeping the gravity close to 1.060 as possible. Next time I'll have to pay closer attention and tap of a larger volume than 25L (perhaps 30L?) to account for the BM's cut.

last time I checked the bjcp guidelines, 61 IBU's is well and truly camped in IPA territory!!!

Sorry, I'm quoting English IPA range. AIPA tops out at 70. The App I'm using for Android, BrewR, gets all red and angry when the numbers go over 60. The Simcoe is deffinately tasting better out of the fermenter compared to the Amarillo btw. I'm worried I'm not going to have any beer left at the rate I'm sampling...

Im making the same (minus the crystal) with all Centennial right now. I cant wait. I think this will be my best effort since shifting to AG ( which has had more downs than ups to date... usually to do with FG issues) Just in time for drinking season to really take off.

Back