RecipeDB - Simple Saaz Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score

Simple Saaz Blonde

Ale - Kölsch
All Grain
* * * * * 8 Votes

Brewer's Notes

It's not a Kolsch!!!, but Blonde Ale is not in the drop down menu...
Munich I is actually Biscuit malt!
Mash at 65'-66' for 90 mins. 90 min boil. This received some recipe requests after the 2011 Sandgroper's case swap, so here it is. I have also brewed this with all Cascade and all EKG, both versions have been crackers. Low malt, low hops, enough body to keep it interesting and a dry finish. Perfect for Summer. Ferment with Nottingham at 15' for 12 days. Crash chill for a few days and keg. OG- 1043 FG 1007

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.5 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.12 kg JWM Caramalt
0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
44 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
11 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

11 ml Danstar - Nottingham

Misc

0.5 g Irish Moss
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.046 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 22 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.55%
  • Colour 9 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Didn't taste it at the case swap, but I'm putting this one down to try out. Cheers

How do you think it would be with some flameout or dry hops?

Interested in trying this one. Although i don't have biscuit malt i do have the munich 1 that you listed?

How do you think it would be with some flameout or dry hops?

Interested in trying this one. Although i don't have biscuit malt i do have the munich 1 that you listed?

To be honest, mate the reason why I started brewing this one was for simplicity. As a hop head I do find it very hard to add just one or two hop additions, but I'm really liking drinking some low hopped styles at the moment instead of my usual 50+ IBU APA's :) In saying that, I reckon flameout hops would be definitely be good.

The munichI would be good I think, maybe up it to 300gms or so...?

Cheers.

To be honest, mate the reason why I started brewing this one was for simplicity. As a hop head I do find it very hard to add just one or two hop additions, but I'm really liking drinking some low hopped styles at the moment instead of my usual 50+ IBU APA's :) In saying that, I reckon flameout hops would be definitely be good.

The munichI would be good I think, maybe up it to 300gms or so...?

Cheers.

Thank you. I'll punch it into brewmate and put it on the list :D

Drinking this atm, a beautiful drop.

Simple and tasty, i did it No chill and just dropped all the additions back 10mins. I'm sure it's more bitter than you intended judging my other bers i've done with the same method, but it's a snorter.

Non homebrew lovers like it too :D

saazblonde1.jpg

Crappy photo doesn't do it justice. I left it ion the sun while i went to get my camera. :rolleyes:

That looks awesome, Punkin. It's such a quaffer, the kegs don't last long...

Cheers.

Nice to know the missus loves. I'll make this up for mine.

Drinking this atm, a beautiful drop.

Simple and tasty, i did it No chill and just dropped all the additions back 10mins. I'm sure it's more bitter than you intended judging my other bers i've done with the same method, but it's a snorter.

Non homebrew lovers like it too :D

View attachment 54338

Crappy photo doesn't do it justice. I left it ion the sun while i went to get my camera. :rolleyes:

Punkin
Did you end up using the Munich?, if so how much did you use?
Cheers
Taz

I'll have to go back through my records when i get home on the w'end. Sorry.

Do you have any biscuit, Taz, or are you aiming to use the munichI as a sub?

Either way, I reckon it will drink nicely. Though the biscuit does work really well in a grain bill like this.

jyo mines in the keg now mate will be in the keger next week so if you want a pint come round

Latest posts

Back