RecipeDB - Session Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchy

Reaction score

Session Stout

Stout - Foreign-Style Stout
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is a beer that was inspired by Brewboys Ace of Spades. It wasn't meant to be a clone but I wanted something similar. Single infusion @ 65. The vienna is actually Wey Abbey malt, the TF crystal is bairds pale, I've got bairds RB & it's meant to be 1 smack pack of 1028 rather than 1 mL.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.4 kg BB Ale Malt
1.1 kg Weyermann Munich II
0.28 kg TF Crystal
0.28 kg TF Pale Chocolate Malt
0.28 kg Powells Vienna (Powells Malts)
0.28 kg TF Roasted Barley

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
100 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1 ml Wyeast Labs 1028 - London Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.057 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 47.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.59%
  • Colour 72 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days

Mmm!

No Hops No Yeast?? :eek:
The malt bill sounds interesting tho,

Cheers

Ok,
Now the info has appeared.

Looks good to me, I like something simple,

Cheers

Mmm!

No Hops No Yeast?? :eek:
The malt bill sounds interesting tho,

Cheers

It's my 1st recipe I've posted, it would be nice if it didn't start the discussion topic while I'm still putting ingredients in.

Top notch recipe. Had this several times from several different batches. The latest being the greatest. We have even had the head brewer of brewboys over to try it. His beer was the inspiration for this recipe, however not a clone. He loved it and said it was the best non commercial beer of recent.

Just about to drink one now!
:chug:

I would like to make this stout using the Grainfather but have some questions.

1. Recipe calls for single infusion at 65deg but for how long.
2. should I mashout at 76deg.
3. would it benefit from adding 1/2 Whirfloc tab
4. Yeast is Wyeast 1028 London lab. I've never used liquid yeast which takes 3 - 4 hrs after activating before pitching. In view of this should I still chill the brew or no chill?
5. Is it worthwhile to cold crash this.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated or perhaps someone has a simple stout recipe I could make in the Grainfather.

60 minutes is a good time for your mash.

Mash out isn't necessary, especially for single infusion. I do them for multiple step brews and it may help with sparge efficiency, depending on sparge temp (if sparging). In the end - up to you but get grain bed to 78 if you choose to do it.

Yes, it will benefit from correct dose of whirlfloc.

How do you normally chill? Do that. Prepare liquid in advance if chilling, prepare however you like if NC.

I find cold conditioning benefits all beer where suspended yeast is not part of the intended/desired flavour profile.

Thanks Manticle. I have one more question re yeast , would there be a dry yeast that i could use instead of the Wyeast 1028. with much the same result ?

There's plenty of dry yeasts you can use, some with similar result. Same? No I'd say not.

Up to you. My preference is liquid due to the variety but many great dry yeasts on the market, range increasing.

Back