Recipedb - Screwy's Choc Treacle Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quietly enjoying one now while watering the hops. Still a bit young but oh so tasty. Not likely to last long in the keg so I'll have to squirrel the one bottle I've filled for a few months from now.
Thanks for the recipe Screwtop. I've still got a can of Lyle's left so will definitely brew again. Cheers.

Put this into Vicbrew.. and comments were great BUT "not enough Treacle".. so if I brew this again I will increase the treacle addition by at least 50%

Grainer said:
Put this into Vicbrew.. and comments were great BUT "not enough Treacle".. so if I brew this again I will increase the treacle addition by at least 50%
I nearly used the two cans I had but decided to stick to the recipe for once. Was lucky I managed to put the whole can in without eating it on the spot. Yum.

Hmm, I wonder if I could do this with blackstrap molasses and use half the amount in the recipe

sp0rk said:
Hmm, I wonder if I could do this with blackstrap molasses and use half the amount in the recipe
Try it out. The Treacle is not there so much for flavour but as an adjunct to add gravity without increasing FG.

Grainer said:

My kettle has a thin base and provides a little caramelisation over a 90 min boil anyway. To better provide what judges were looking for you could remove 2 litres once all runnings are in the kettle and before any hop additions, then reduce this down on the stove to 200ml and add back to the kettle for some caramelisation.

Brew Well and Cheers,

Screwy

Hey All,
I've been thinking about brewing something black and tasty for a while now and this looks the goods. The only ingredient I don't have is the torrified wheat.... Could I replace it with anything or leave it out?

Cheers, Paul

Flaked wheat is a good sub - they are both pre-gelatinised raw wheat. Torrified wheat adds a hint of nuttiness which you wont get from a sub.
In the same position when brewing a stout, I once subbed torrified wheat with rolled oats (home brand) that I toasted in the oven until they started to smell like cookies baking...

Thanks I might try the oats in the oven trick as I don't want to pay for postage just to get some torrified wheat sent to me.
Cheers

Hi only new to this site and was wondering how to view the recipe and method for this beverage thanks.
Regards Don

Go to the recipes section on the web page. Then go to the stout section. It can't be viewed in the app, if that is what you are using.
Brewed a double batch of this on the weekend. Subbed the torrified wheat for Carapils and used wyeast 1275 Thames valley yeast so it's a bit different to the original and hopefully just as good as the reviews.

Thanks vp using the phone to look at it so that might be my drama, thanks.
Don

Back