Recipedb - Screwy's Choc Treacle Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score

Screwy's Choc Treacle Stout

Stout - Foreign-Style Stout
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

If unable to step mash use a single infusion rest at 66°C for 75 min.
Step mash = Mash in 52°C rest for 10 min, step to 66°C for 60 min, mash out 77°C for 10 min. Boil length 90 min.

OG:1.060, FG:1.016 IBU:58 (Rager) />
Treacle is Lyles an English treacle available from some Coles supermarkets add with 10 min of the boil remaining.

Use a large kitchen whish to aerate wort well before adding the starter, then again after 12 hours and again after another 12 hours if no krausen has formed, do not aerate again once krausen forms. Ferment at 20°C until terminal gravity is reached then give another week. Crash chill to 1-2 degrees for a few days before kegging/ bottling.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.1 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
1.55 kg Weyermann Vienna
0.3 kg JWM Roast Barley
0.25 kg TF Torrefied Wheat
0.18 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.27 kg Treacle

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
32 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
23 g Northdown (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
23 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

2000 ml Wyeast Labs 1098 - British Ale

Misc

2 tsp Gypsum
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.059 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 47.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.72%
  • Colour 77 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Keen to have a look at this as it sounds delightful (and my kind of beer)

unfortunately the link is broken.

Keen to have a look at this as it sounds delightful (and my kind of beer)

unfortunately the link is broken.

Screwy can you sort that link mate looking forward to mashing this one

Franko

Sorry too late to edit, asked for a mod to fix the link.

Cheers,

Screwy

I believe this was the one I sampled at your place the other week? If so it a great Stout and one I'm brewing next.

Batz

Will be brewing this next... But I was thinking of using 1187 Ringwood (as ive got that in stock and CB wont have 1098 back in stock for weeks). Thoughts?

Will be brewing this next... But I was thinking of using 1187 Ringwood (as ive got that in stock and CB wont have 1098 back in stock for weeks). Thoughts?

Mmmmm, I would try it, unsure how the spiceyness of Ringwood would work with the other flavours in this stout. Used a mix of Ringwood and ESB in my last Red Ale and love the effect....................................but...........when I taste two of my red ales side by side one fermented using US-05 and the other using ESB/Ringwood, they are both great, sometimes I prefer the esters provided by the ESB/Ringwood and other times the Malt forward beer using 05.............................. decisions, decisions.

Screwy

Ended up making this with 1084 yeast.

Awesome! Very rich smooth and creamy. Almost like a stout flavoured milkshake.

hey screwy
looking at the recipe, youve got the boil length in the recipe as 60min but in the notes as 90min. which one is it. I assuem its 60min as that matches the expected IBU. if its a 90min boil its going to increase ibu a lot

hey screwy
looking at the recipe, youve got the boil length in the recipe as 60min but in the notes as 90min. which one is it. I assuem its 60min as that matches the expected IBU. if its a 90min boil its going to increase ibu a lot

CM2

90 min boil as are all my beers (well all but Weizenbier), Bittering hops are 60 min.

Is there a way to enter a 90 min boil in the Recipe DB????

Screwy

CM2

90 min boil as are all my beers (well all but Weizenbier), Bittering hops are 60 min.

Is there a way to enter a 90 min boil in the Recipe DB????

Screwy
faarrk. ive just realised what you wear meaning. no idea idea where my heads at. yeah of course you can boil for 90min and not add hops until 60min *smacks forhead*. proof that its been too long between brews for me.

sweet mate. this should be nice and conditioned by the time autumn comes along.

I'd like to add attachements to recipes, but at this stage it's a little way off.

You can however add promash/beersmith files to the discussion topic that is generated for that recipe.

After reading the above from Dane posted in the Forum Reorganisation thread, it occured to me that I had never considered doing this.............. so:

View attachment Screwys_Choc_Treacle_Stout.zip

Just a tip, couldn't upload the BSM2 file,

File_Capture.JPG

had to zip (compress) it first.

Have this awesome stout currently bottle conditioning now for about a month.

Tastes bloody great, me and the missus really enjoyed a sample we had tonight. Will let it mature for a few more months yet so its ready for those cold winter nights.

stout.jpg

Have this awesome stout currently bottle conditioning now for about a month.

Tastes bloody great, me and the missus really enjoyed a sample we had tonight. Will let it mature for a few more months yet so its ready for those cold winter nights.

View attachment 53793

Nice looking stout Truman! love the head. Noticed recently that fermenting using Irish 1084 the head is tan and using ESB 1968 produces an off white head. More aroma from Irish, better flavour from ESB, so I blended em............ Beautiful!!

It's a great recipe, responds well to time. We had a few of these last weekend at a local brewers Brewshare Day.

Screwy

ooh, a timely prompy Screwy, thinking about my nex batch being a stout seeing as the FIL demolished the last swap day stout..

Back