RecipeDB - Schwarzbier by the Yardglass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score

Schwarzbier by the Yardglass

Lager - Schwarzbier
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is basically Jamil's recipe with a few tweaks here and there, it's an absolutely awesome beer that converts dyed in the wool megaswillers to avid craftbrew fans.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.75 kg Weyermann Munich I
2.75 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.15 kg TF Pale Crystal
0.15 kg TF Chocolate Malt
0.1 kg TF Roasted Barley

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
25 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 20mins)
20 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

50 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
25L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.052 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 25.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.93%
  • Colour 46 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Have you used any other Lager Yeasts on this one Yardy? I dare say any good lager yeast would work well with this grain bill.

Fermenting at the cooler end of the respective yeast range I presume?

no mate only S-189, i grabbed some wy 2000 to try it with but never got around to it, imo i got pretty good results with S-189, a few of the bundy crew had a sample at the shed and it got fair to average reviews :icon_cheers:

ferm temp would've been no higher than 11*C, i pitched cool at fermenting temp by acclimatising the yeast and the cube in the ferm fridge overnight, no diacetyl rest to really speak of, iirc i may have warmed it to about 15 for a day or so and then crashed to 2 or 3 *C for conditioning without a transfer to secondary, sitting on the yeast didn't seem to affect the final beer.

the schwarz i'm brewing today has the same bill only changed the hops a bit, bittering with Hallertauer Aroma and Hallertauer Mittlefreuh at 5 min.

like it says in the notes i don't really take any credit because it was built around JZ's recipe but it is a nice beer.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for the extra info fella. Will have to sneak this into the long brewing schedule soon.

no problem, good luck with that, I have a 'to do' list a mile long..

cheers

brewing this again, slight changes are Notts yeast and Willamette, love this beer B)

How did it got second time around?

I'll be looking at making this next week using Bohemian Lager (Wyeast). Using original recipe. My first go at lager yeast. Any pointers? Mashing around 66c?

Back