RecipeDB - Rye Robust Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieren

Reaction score

Rye Robust Porter

Porter - Robust Porter
All Grain
* * * * * 9 Votes

Brewer's Notes

TF rye and TF crystal rye were actually Wey rye and Wey Caramel rye.
Mashed at 65 deg C. FG was 1.019.
Yeast was 4 parts 1056 1 part 1272 but either would be fine. 1272 is my preference.
Chinook is actually dry hops - 7 days.
Winner of the SABSOSA Porter category - 2011 & 2nd place at AABC 2011

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.03 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
4.32 kg TF Pale Rye Malt
2.15 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.86 kg Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
0.58 kg TF Black Malt
0.43 kg TF Crystal Rye

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
130 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 60mins)
100 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 0mins)
30 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)
30 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

4000 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
40L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.073 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.018 (calc)
  • Bitterness 44.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 68%
  • Alcohol 7.18%
  • Colour 111 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Kieren,
Is this the one Hatchy had on Wed, on his brewday. If so its straight into the to do list. Absolutley sensational.

Reagards Tony

Kieren,
Is this the one Hatchy had on Wed, on his brewday. If so its straight into the to do list. Absolutley sensational.

Reagards Tony

Cheers Tony,
Yes, this was same one but not dry hopped. The winner of the Stammtisch was dry hopped for 7 days. The one in the case swap was dry hopped for 14 days. All from the same batch.
Forgot to add, rice hulls were added to the mash, 500g iirc.
Kieren

How long does this need to bottle condition for? Is it one that will need to be put away for a little while?

I think it should be good to go after 4 weeks.

Interestingly, the 1 week dry hopped version was only two weeks in the bottle when judged better than the non dry hopped version that had been in the keg for 3 weeks.

See Smurto's tasting comments on the 2 week dry hopped version here - http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?to...picseen#msg5493 - this was in the bottle for about 3 weeks when Smurto tasted it. I think the grassiness that Smurto picks up will definitely fade over time. Should get more tasting notes when more of the case swappers crack theirs.

It should keep nicely for a year or so I would imagine.

I guess I need to do an all grain brew now. Thanks Kieran, this'll be my first AG. Without the dry hops though I think.

I guess I need to do an all grain brew now. Thanks Kieran, this'll be my first AG. Without the dry hops though I think.

Tanga, did you get that spreadsheet okay in Linux?

There are a couple of programs - qbrew (it's in sourceforge as a .deb package for debian based Linux OS), which is okay, a little limited but good for beginner. And brewtarget, which is like a harder than beersmith to use program.

Plenty in Linux for a brewer. AG is simpler than you'd think as well.

Goomba

I'm beginning the process of upgrading my brewery so I can let you know if I am getting rid of any equipment if you like.

I think it should be good to go after 4 weeks.

Interestingly, the 1 week dry hopped version was only two weeks in the bottle when judged better than the non dry hopped version that had been in the keg for 3 weeks.

See Smurto's tasting comments on the 2 week dry hopped version here - http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?to...picseen#msg5493 - this was in the bottle for about 3 weeks when Smurto tasted it. I think the grassiness that Smurto picks up will definitely fade over time. Should get more tasting notes when more of the case swappers crack theirs.

It should keep nicely for a year or so I would imagine.

Kieren I have had the chinook hops in the primary for 1 week now but I was going for 2 weeks. If it's a bit grassy do you think i should pull em out now or should I go for the 2 weeks? I dont really want crazy hop aroma drowning out the malts in my porter.

Kieren I have had the chinook hops in the primary for 1 week now but I was going for 2 weeks. If it's a bit grassy do you think i should pull em out now or should I go for the 2 weeks? I dont really want crazy hop aroma drowning out the malts in my porter.

I would dry hop to your palette. If you think it is getting too grassy then it is time to package it. I tried one on friday and didn't get too much grassiness. When i do this version again I probably won't use Chinook. When I brewed this chiniok wad all I had on hand. I would like to try centennial or even a giggle or elf at half the rate.

The dry hopping is not really a big part of this beer, I did it because I split the batch after primary and I couldn't resist. I am a hop head at heart.

I would dry hop to your palette. If you think it is getting too grassy then it is time to package it. I tried one on friday and didn't get too much grassiness. When i do this version again I probably won't use Chinook. When I brewed this chiniok wad all I had on hand. I would like to try centennial or even a giggle or elf at half the rate.
Sweet as mate, think ill leave it for the 14 days and see how it turns out. I might always wonder what it would have tasted like if I dont.
Cheers

Sweet as mate, think ill leave it for the 14 days and see how it turns out. I might always wonder what it would have tasted like if I dont.
Cheers

You can always do what I did, bottle a couple of bottles now with a teaspoon of dex and bottle/keg the rest in a week.

You can always do what I did, bottle a couple of bottles now with a teaspoon of dex and bottle/keg the rest in a week.
I liked this recipe so much I made 40L and put it into 2 kegs. 1 keg hopped with chinook and one keg with citra. I have to say this beer is god damn fantastic!

You cant go past rye for that thick creamy mouthfeel and the deep chocolatey malt you get from the chocolate wheat and munich is pure pleasure.

The best part about this beer is it just get's better as it warms up and you start to taste the basicity flavour from the marris otter. I also love how the aroma of citra hits the nostrils and after you swallow it kind of lingers in a way that says.....take another sip.

The only problem is your on your way after 4 pints but im certainly not complaining!

Milk...mothers milk for sure!!!

Good stuff, gav.

I also made a version of this recently dry hopped with citra at half the original rate and for only three days and man did the hop aroma pop out of the glass. Powerful hop that citra.

Got to do an oak aged version of this beer sometime, maybe after summer.

I actually did a 3 day dry hop with the citra and I think it came up perfect. It is a powerful hop that one indeed. Might try a 10 minute IPA with it or an easy going SMASH APA or something along those lines.

Sorry for my in experience but i am thinking of trying this recipy on the weekend but i have never dry hopped before do you just put the pellets in the frementer after the frst week or do you dilute them somehow?

Sorry for my in experience but i am thinking of trying this recipy on the weekend but i have never dry hopped before do you just put the pellets in the frementer after the frst week or do you dilute them somehow?
Put em in a sanitised hop bag and dry hop after primary fermentation for a few days. You could put them in without a bag but im not sure if you will get hop's floating around in your finished beer. I suppose if you wait long enough they will sink to the bottom but you will have to rack your beer off them because you probably don't want to dry hop more than 5 days that chinook is strong stuff.

Back