RecipeDB - Roggenbier by the Yardglass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score

Roggenbier by the Yardglass

Specialty - Roggenbier
All Grain
- - - - -

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.5 kg TF Pale Rye Malt
1.6 kg Weyermann Munich I
1.4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.15 kg Weyermann Carared
0.15 kg TF Crystal
0.08 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
15 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

1 g DCL Yeast K-97 - SafAle German Ale
26L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.051 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 15.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.8%
  • Colour 28 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 14 days

Whats it like with the k97 yardy??

Ive only done one roggenbier and it was wrecked by a wb06 ferment, have been pondering doing one with a lager yeast but k97 might be the way to go?

Ive only done one roggenbier and it was wrecked by a wb06 ferment

?!!?? more explanation please.

Wrecked by a WB-06 ferment - how so. I have made 3 now with WB-06 and I find that they need a month or so to settle but I dont know how a yeast can wreck a roggen?

RM

RM its just a personal preference thing, in that I absolutely HATE wheat beers, I do not want banana in my beers, ever!!

I tried to ferment it cool to avoid the esters and phenols, but still got a bit of banana which for me ruined the beer! Tbh I didnt really fancy any of the other esters I got out of the yeast either, but to each their own...

i think it's well suited to it mate, imo why use a wheat yeast (WB-06) for a rye ale ?

cheers

Dave

Yeah only reason I did originally was cos all the recipes I pulled up had a wheat yeast, but we live and learn.

Cheers bud :icon_cheers:

Yeah only reason I did originally was cos all the recipes I pulled up had a wheat yeast, but we live and learn.

Cheers bud :icon_cheers:

i've brewed it with WB-06, US05, T-58 and K-97 and imho the 97 is the best of the dry yeasts for a roggen, thats just me though.

jamil suggests that WB-06 should be used, whatever floats your boat i suppose

you won't be sorry you brewed this beer B)

cheers

Dave

RM its just a personal preference thing, in that I absolutely HATE wheat beers, I do not want banana in my beers, ever!!

I tried to ferment it cool to avoid the esters and phenols, but still got a bit of banana which for me ruined the beer! Tbh I didnt really fancy any of the other esters I got out of the yeast either, but to each their own...

Fairy Enough then

I OTOH want banana in my roggenbier so bad i add a banana - aswell as ferment with WB-06 at 22 degC.

Love Banana me

RM

Just putting it out there that a wheat yeast in a roggenbier isn't really such an strange idea. The BJCP guidelines it even say roggen should have weizen yeast character.

Just putting it out there that a wheat yeast in a roggenbier isn't really such an strange idea. The BJCP guidelines it even say roggen should have weizen yeast character.

that's fine Sammus, everything you read recommends it, i'm just saying for my tastes i think you get more out of the rye (spice) with K-97.

cheers

Dave

that's fine Sammus, everything you read recommends it, i'm just saying for my tastes i think you get more out of the rye (spice) with K-97.

cheers

Dave

No worries :) Just thought I'd point it out, because after reading the thread I found myself questioning whether a weizen yeast in a roggenbeir was normal or some crazy cross species hybrid idea.

Latest posts

Back