RecipeDB - QB's Bub-Barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score

QB's Bub-Barleywine

Barley Wine - Barley Wine
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

150 min boil with FWH. Hops will be adjusted to reach 100IBUs exactly. 'Amber' should read 'Biscuit' but I couldn't see it in the list.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
8 kg TF Golden Promise Pale Malt
0.45 kg TF Amber Malt
0.2 kg Weyermann Melanoidin
0.2 kg Weyermann Caraamber
0.15 kg TF Pale Rye Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 150mins)
40 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
35 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 150mins)
35 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 60mins)
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

2000 ml Wyeast Labs 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale

Misc

2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tablet Whirfloc
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.099 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.025 (calc)
  • Bitterness 131.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 9.71%
  • Colour 26 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 30 days

Nice QB, will be taking this and adding my own twist if you dont mind (exactly what the twist is i have no idea!), my missus is due in about 8 weeks so i'd better pull my finger out.

my missus is due in about 8 weeks so i'd better pull my finger out.
:lol: Anyone who reads that and doesn't laugh is in desperate need of a holiday (read: more mature than I).

Feel free to do as you please with the recipe, but if you've got ideas to improve it feel free to let me know ;)

You might want to fix the URI in the link in your original post. Link broky :(

Other than that... Congratulations.

Best advice I can give as both a brewer and a father, get as much brewing done as you can before bubs arrives, as you'll have SFA time for it in the first 6-12 months once they've popped out.

:lol: Anyone who reads that and doesn't laugh is in desperate need of a holiday (read: more mature than I).

Feel free to do as you please with the recipe, but if you've got ideas to improve it feel free to let me know ;)

that is funny...

My missus is due in just a couple of weeks so I best get my skates on for the English BW I'll be doing...congrats QB.

if you're going belgian yeast ferment cooler. otherwise I like it. I probably wouldn't use some of the specs like melanoidin but that could be the reason mine didn't score 40+ at AABC and 'lacked malt complexity'. Go for it and enjoy it. In june 2011 you're going to need it.

if you're going belgian yeast ferment cooler. otherwise I like it. I probably wouldn't use some of the specs like melanoidin but that could be the reason mine didn't score 40+ at AABC and 'lacked malt complexity'. Go for it and enjoy it. In june 2011 you're going to need it.
Hopefully the 'malt complexity' is good for this one. As for yeast, I started thinking high gravity yeasts, so I thought belgian, but yeah - I'm not too keen on esters, so perhaps this isn't the best choice.

I've heard that with the right pitching rate, US-05 can tackle this one, but I use that yeast 75% of the time anyway, so I'm happy to splurge on liquid yeast for this one if someone can point me towards a suitable strain. Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale @ 16-17C perhaps?

Hopefully the 'malt complexity' is good for this one. As for yeast, I started thinking high gravity yeasts, so I thought belgian, but yeah - I'm not too keen on esters, so perhaps this isn't the best choice.

I've heard that with the right pitching rate, US-05 can tackle this one, but I use that yeast 75% of the time anyway, so I'm happy to splurge on liquid yeast for this one if someone can point me towards a suitable strain. Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale @ 16-17C perhaps?

The current release of Wyeast 9097 - Old Ale Blend sounds like it could be very interesting in this beer. May be risky playing with Brett in a beer of such importance but the description "pie cherry-like flavor and sourness during prolonged aging" definitely has me intrigued.

So the arrival- from the name of the recipe I can only assume it's Bub, the regular on The Brewing Network, deciding to stop by your house when he flies to Australia.

Congrats QB. I've got one due the same time.
Pacman will chew through this with no probs. Maple used us05 in his barleywine and it was fine. Brendo 4* and myself all used pacman and it ripped through it.

I like the idea of some BrettC in some bottles but not sure about w9097 old ale. It's a blend of funk. Could be interesting in a few bottles for an experiment.

I'm doing up a big dopplebock or bock as celebration beer.

Keep us posted on progress

Also have u seen this months zymurgy? Big barleywine article.

I used an entire yeastcake of US05 in my barleywine, took it from 1.088 to 1.017.

Pacman gives you the esters you noticed in my case swap beer..........

Nothing else to offer grist or hopwise, it looks good to me and not that dissimilar to mine.

Congrats/commiserations! :icon_cheers:

So the arrival- from the name of the recipe I can only assume it's Bub, the regular on The Brewing Network, deciding to stop by your house when he flies to Australia.
Yeah, P&C, that's exactly it - I'll leave you to your denial.

Also have u seen this months zymurgy? Big barleywine article.
No, I haven't read much zymurgy, but I'll track down a copy and have a look. There was a barleywine clone section in BYO recently that I've paid close attention to.

I used an entire yeastcake of US05 in my barleywine, took it from 1.088 to 1.017.

Pacman gives you the esters you noticed in my case swap beer..........
Sounds like US-05 might be the way for me - not too keen on esters really. Could a yeastcake of US-05 handle 1.100?

Yeah, P&C, that's exactly it - I'll leave you to your denial.

No, I haven't read much zymurgy, but I'll track down a copy and have a look. There was a barleywine clone section in BYO recently that I've paid close attention to.

Sounds like US-05 might be the way for me - not too keen on esters really. Could a yeastcake of US-05 handle 1.100?
Yeah that's right I read that also. They are similar but I liked zymurgy better. I'll pm u if the article accidently falls on a scanner then accidently emails itself.

I would have thought that an entire yeast cake would be more than enough, ESP is the original packet was rehydrated first (ie better live yeast cell takeoff ratio)

After 5 long weeks in hospital thanks to odd but inconclusive test results, Mrs QB has not-so-spontaneously emitted a daughter particle this morning, weighing in at 4lb 13oz (not too shabby for 36.5 weeks). 10 fingers, 10 toes, and a good tendency to sleep. Oh, and the baby's fine too.

Brews will be off the cards for a little while methinks. I brewed up the bub-barleywine but it's still in the fermenter (probably not so great by now) so I'm celebrating when I next get the chance with a bottle of Ngne100.

I reckon there's an opportunity to 'wet the baby's head' this Sunday at the Wheaty, somewhere in the vicinity of 8pm. Be there or you'll be elsewhere!.

Congrats QB..our little bloke is 6 weeks old now and basically you can forget brewing or beer lol
My barleywine was in the fermentor for a month before bottled
If I wasn't on the iPhone , doing a 3.30 bottle feed , I'd send you the link for the maltose falcons brew club in the US who have a brilliant article on big beers...
Congrats again and good luck !
Cheers
Ferg

Congrats QB, my 4 week old is 'helping me' type this.

Hope all went smoothly and Mum and bub are doing as well as you. :D
Well, hell, Smurto - I've been in and out of hospitals for the last 5 weeks, so I must have missed that one. Congrats to you too!

She [daughter] is finally waking up enough for boob juice regularly (great at it, just lazy) that she will be out of the special care unit tomorrow. I guess it's somewhat fortunate that mum got demoted to the W&C and they don't let dads stay over - I get to sleep plenty & have the drinks tomorrow night.

I'll see who I see tomorrow [Sunday] night. Remember - public holiday Monday!

Congrats to you and your family, QB.

Back