RecipeDB - Powderkeg GB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty excited to try this one. My last GB kit was pretty average. Any ideas on suitable replacements/substitutes for the vermouth, sherry and lochan ora, they are not the easiest to get a hold of atm. Thanks

i don't think lochan ora has been available for ages, i think i substituted whiskey.
vermouth (martini?) and sherry should be in your local BWS (when you can leave home)
don't get the cheap sherry, go for the $5 a bottle good stuff.:)

Drambuie, Glavya and Lochan Ora were the three big whiskey liquors; I think Glavya would be the closest.
Drambuie has a sort of marzipan after taste that I can’t see fitting in.
Mark

I was really disappointed with this recipe.
The metallic artificial sweetener taste still comes through even after all the additions.
My keg is still sitting there unconsumed. I can't bring myself to pour it out because it was so expensive to make.

I was really disappointed with this recipe.
The metallic artificial sweetener taste still comes through even after all the additions.
My keg is still sitting there unconsumed. I can't bring myself to pour it out because it was so expensive to make.
That's strange, the only thing that would have had artificial sweetener would've been the kit
Buderim cordial doesn't use artificial sweetener, so I'd be looking at the kit you're using rather than the recipe itself
Look for something that uses erythritol or xylitol, neither seem to have the strange after tastes that other sweeteners have

That's strange, the only thing that would have had artificial sweetener would've been the kit
Buderim cordial doesn't use artificial sweetener, so I'd be looking at the kit you're using rather than the recipe itself
Look for something that uses erythritol or xylitol, neither seem to have the strange after tastes that other sweeteners have

It was the suggested Morgan's kit I used. Not sure what sweetener they use is, but I can sure taste it.
I was thinking of backsweetening with some more cordial to try and drown it out.

I’ve had the same result from the Morgan’s kit, I’m sensitive to the artificial sweetener taste. Makes it undrinkable. Haven’t dumped it yet, its been sitting there for 18months taking up bottle space. Thinking about running it through the still to recover something….

Latest posts

Back