RecipeDB - Pommy IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoney

Reaction score

Pommy IPA

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

TF Crystal = 40SRM
Weyermann CaraWheat = Wheat Caramel Malt (Weyermann®)
Ale Malt = Biscuit Malt - (Dingemans)
0 minute addition = flameout
Mash @ 66C
OG 1.068
Beersmith says 52 IBU

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5.7 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.3 kg TF Crystal
0.3 kg Weyermann CaraWheat
0.3 kg BB Ale Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
55 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)
50 g Northdown (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
46 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1028 - London Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.068 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 50.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 77%
  • Alcohol 6.65%
  • Colour 24 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

nothing can go wrong with kent and fuggle but why so late to add them? and the taste?

English IPA plus late hops works for me.

EKG late is particularly great.

Looks gorgeous. Reminds me to order some Northdown.
If I were doing this I'd sub the TF Crystal with Simpson's Heritage Crystal which is made from MO
Also, using the Ale (was that to use up leftovers or was there another reason?) - because it's nice and diastatic I'd replace the Cara with Torrefied Wheat or Flaked Wheat

:icon_drunk:

nothing can go wrong with kent and fuggle but why so late to add them? and the taste?

Because I love a big aroma hit with my IPA! The taste is quite malty and a touch bit sweet, so the hop flavour & bitterness come out very well balanced after each mouthful.

If I were doing this I'd sub the TF Crystal with Simpson's Heritage Crystal which is made from MO
Also, using the Ale (was that to use up leftovers or was there another reason?) - because it's nice and diastatic I'd replace the Cara with Torrefied Wheat or Flaked Wheat

BB Ale = Biscuit Malt - (Dingemans)
Cara = Wheat Caramel Malt (Weyermann)

(I couldnt find either of the above in the Recipe DB) Although i'll definitely brew this one again so i'll try the wheat suggestion! :icon_cheers:

I was just looking at the craftbrewer website and noticed northdown at 5.8% AA. Was 8.5 a typo?

Hops change all the time. First time I used challenger, they were at 11 something percent but most batches are close to half that.

Hop varieties do occasionally vary in alpha acids from batch to batch. Any English high alpha % bittering hop will do the job though, so long as you work out the IBU's to around the mid 50's .

I recently brewed this variation below that I just kegged on the weekend, used Target for bittering.

Boil Size: 28.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.48 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
OG: 1.068 SG
FG: 1.010
Color: 6.8 SRM
IBU: 58.3 IBUs
ABV: 7.7%

Mashed @ 65C

5.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter 87.7 %
0.30 kg Biscuit Malt 4.6 %
0.30 kg Wheat Caramel Malt (Weyermann) 4.6 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) 3.1 %
40.00 g Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
56.00 g Fuggles [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
46.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - 0 min flameout
1.0 pkg London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Came out just as lovely - if not better. Warmth of alcohol goes up your nose, tongue gets a good whack of caramel toffee and then finishes off with a bitter kick that isnt over the top, but just right.

Hops change all the time. First time I used challenger, they were at 11 something percent but most batches are close to half that.
Yeh no worries, just thought it was a coincidence that the numbers were switched.

Hey all,

I have 2 batches of this currently in the ferm fridge, and im thinking it needs a dry hop (keg hop)
Should i do a 50/50 EKG/Fuggle hop to about 70g per batch?

Do EKG and Fuggle have a problem with being left in a keg for extended periods of time?

First real IPA, and first time playing with english styles, and thus, these hops.

Thanks.

IMO, EKG is excellent as a keg hop and I've personally never had issues with it being in the keg for extended periods (no grassy flavours etc.). Longest has been a month or so in one of those big tea balls things

Never tried it with Fuggles, but then I’m not a big fan of Fuggles in the beers I brew. Which is probably more to do with me brewing shit beers with it than the hop itself

Ekg and challenger are both good uk hops for dry.
I never leave dry in for long before removal or transfer.
Fuggles is really an individual thing -some love, some hate.
Not uk but works well in uk stules - styrian goldings.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm

im really looking for a gage roads sleeping giant kinda beer... mmmm... love that beer

Back