RecipeDB - Pillar of Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score

Pillar of Stout

Stout - Irish Dry Stout
All Grain
* * * * - 5 Votes

Brewer's Notes

A fairly basic Stout.But one of the best I had had so far. The black malt helps to add that excellent ashy flavour to complement the bitternes.Has a long lingering bitterness to it. Tasts similar to Guiness, even though it was not my intension

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.4 kg BB Ale Malt
0.34 kg JWM Roast Barley
0.15 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.15 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II
0.1 kg TF Black Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
34 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)
30 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 20mins)

Yeast

150 ml Danstar - Nottingham
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.053 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 51.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.2%
  • Colour 98 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Just having my 1st Glass of this its a very nice Beer, very drinkable... :chug:

Cant remember the exact temp, but it would depend if you want it dry or sweet

think I mashed accidentally a little on the low side as the FG was a little higher than I'd have liked

but, cracked one of these this evening after 4 days in the bottle because I'm just tooooo impatient.

I'm loving this!

it was also my first full-sized batch of all grain (BIAB). Not a process I'd like to repeat until I get a bigger pot and a pulley. Didnt' see what the fuss was about in terms of lifting the bag until I did a full batch. lol!

Was wondering how the flavour profice changes over time in the bottle?

The smokiness in the background is nice but a little dominating at the moment for my palette. I'm assuming that's just because it's so young and needs more time to meld and blend and do its thing in the bottle over the coming weeks?

"months" ?

lol! well, gives me something to aim for. Might have to get the missus to hide a few bottles I think!

mellowing out nicely this one. I don't have a lot of it left but it's a cracker.

the smokiness is still there but it's more balanced and well rounded.

will definitely be making this one again.

cheers!

Just opened the first bottle from this recipe and it's a nice drop. Should get better when it's had more than a week in the bottle but i had to know it was on track.

I have this one fermenting away but added 500g cooked oats to the mash.... Will be keen to try once fermenting has finished

Oats will make it a bit more creamy, but you may loose some head as oats are a bit oily

To get around the oat issue.... use flaked barley..... works great!

I'm gonna try this one tomorrow ... couldnt get the right hops here in NZ though so went for a combination of Target (for bittering - probs 20gms) and NZ Goldings for the later addition (30gms) ..... wonder what that'll come out like ?

Back