RecipeDB - Mugs Malt Monster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggus

Case swap whore
Reaction score

Mugs Malt Monster

Barley Wine - Barley Wine
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Mashed at 62°C for 90 minutes with 21L water
Sparged with 29L of water at 78°C
Boiled for 2 hours
Hops are '09 Aussie Topaz pellets

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
8.2 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
1 kg Dextrose

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
150 g Warrior (Pellet, 15.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

2000 g DCL Yeast S-33 - SafBrew Ale
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.109 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.029 (calc)
  • Bitterness 66.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 73%
  • Alcohol 10.51%
  • Colour 13 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 30 days
  • Conditioning 24 days

Still waiting on the FG actually haha... :wacko:
With that dextrose in there i'm hoping it'll come out around 1.020...i'm gonna chuck some EC-1118 in to finish it off if it's above 1.030 and getting sluggish. Apparently S-33 can attenuate better than 75%...here's hoping.

Did you really mash with 21 litres of water?
Yes...yes I did.
No sure why I included that detail, but yeah...worked out to be 2.6L of water per kg of grain. Quite thick.
Felt a bit disappointed using 50L water for only 21L of beer.

Yes...yes I did.
No sure why I included that detail, but yeah...worked out to be 2.6L of water per kg of grain. Quite thick.
Felt a bit disappointed using 50L water for only 21L of beer.

Truly epic! ;)

I've managed to score one of those wine barrels from Canberra. I'm thinking of doing 100L of barleywine and been browsing the recipes in the database. How did you like just going with 100% pale malt? Also, was 150g Topaz @ 10 mins the only hop addition? I'll be aging for at least 6 months in the barrel, so I want to start with a lot of hop flavour and let it mellow out over time.

Any tips?

I've managed to score one of those wine barrels from Canberra. I'm thinking of doing 100L of barleywine and been browsing the recipes in the database. How did you like just going with 100% pale malt? Also, was 150g Topaz @ 10 mins the only hop addition? I'll be aging for at least 6 months in the barrel, so I want to start with a lot of hop flavour and let it mellow out over time.

Any tips?

My only tip would be to get rid of that shit Jersey in your avatar. :D

Thinking of doing something very similar for my 25L ex-Shiraz American oak barrel soon. Wanna keep it really simple as far as malt and hops go...hopefully get some flavour out of the barrel itself.

Latest posts

Back