RecipeDB - Montheiths Origional Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone had a shot at this yet?

In interested in peoples thoughts :)

Hi Tony, had this one cubed for a few weeks and just put it down... I have given the Argon late hopping / no chill method a go for this one so will see how it goes.

Only my second AG so not sure what my feedback will help but very keen to see how it turns out.

I have used the CB Engligh Ale Dry Yeast and will ferment at 20c

Will let you know how she goes, planning on fermenting for 14 days and then crash chill for 7 and keg

Tony, this has been in the fermenter for 14 days now, 1.046 OG and 1.011 FG.... Now set for CC... I am planning on 3 days CC and then into the Keg so that I can be drinking this by Friday night....

I notice that you have 4 weeks of "Conditioning" in the recipe DB..... What do you consider "Conditioning"????

The hyro sample taseted absolutely amazing! Probably the first time I have polished off the whole hydro sample :D

Was on a work trip to NZ last week and had a few Originals so very keen to try this one out on the weekend!

Will report back, Camo :beer:

Ahhhh 4 weeks conditioning...... that would be a stock AHB figure i didnt change.

your plan sounds fine.

Let me know what you think!

cheers

Tony..... This Beer Rocks! :beerbang:

I have now found my house Brew!

This was my second AG as BIAB in an Urn.... I know I made some mistakes and have a few tweaks to do but this beer is unreal.

I kegged this on Wed and tried it on Thursday night and whilst it was nice it laked body and was a bit bland....... Today I tried it and it has balanced out well and is tasting unreal!

I no chill and did not do the 0 min addition and tried the Aargon method for late hopping... I think I stuffed that part a bit so am going to just do the 0 min addition next time and maybe cube hop... It could do with a little more aroma, but considering the actual Monteiths Original is not in your face this is still pretty bloody good.

I am very happy with this to say the least!

Monteiths_Original_A_01.JPG

Monteiths_Orignal_B_01.JPG

First ever recipe from another brewer to go on my "to brew list".

Classy - this will satisfy my hoppy tastes (though I won't OTT it), but be something I can give to all my minions screaming for a british style beer to be brewed NOW! for 3 months' time -when the weather thinks about cooling down a little.

Stinking heck, it is steamy indoors atm.

great stuff camo...... I was very happy with the recipe, as were all who tasted it here. Im glad you liked it.

Cheers

Tony

@Tony (or Camo) - 1. What would the no-chill adjustments be (I don't normally no chill, but won't have time to get ice sorted before a brewday (hopefully tomorrow), and 2. For a single infusion mashing regime to get close enough, what mash temp would you choose? I'm thinking about 67 degrees, give or take, and hammer it with notto.

Goomba

@Tony (or Camo) - 1. What would the no-chill adjustments be (I don't normally no chill, but won't have time to get ice sorted before a brewday (hopefully tomorrow), and 2. For a single infusion mashing regime to get close enough, what mash temp would you choose? I'm thinking about 67 degrees, give or take, and hammer it with notto.

Goomba

Hey Goomba, I mashed at 66% and used did not do the 0 min addition but used the Aargon Method for the 0 min addition.... I am sure I didnt do that part properly though as it was my first attempt but this beer was amazing! Blew the keg a few nights ago so will be brewing this very soon..... In all honesty I am a massive fan of the actual Montieths original but I think this is better!

Hey Goomba, I mashed at 66% and used did not do the 0 min addition but used the Aargon Method for the 0 min addition.... I am sure I didnt do that part properly though as it was my first attempt but this beer was amazing! Blew the keg a few nights ago so will be brewing this very soon..... In all honesty I am a massive fan of the actual Montieths original but I think this is better!

How was the body? And the flavour?

I don't mind (from what I Remember) the MOA, but I told my brother I was brewing it as an Irish Red - he went out and bought a stubbie of MOA and said "watery, tasteless, bland" - given he's a euromegaswilllager drinker, that's a massive statement.

Final Qu - what did your OG/FG end up being? I want this to be a lower abv% (I have a 7.1% beer in the keg already) for drinking (not supping).

Cheers

Goomba

In all honesty I am a massive fan of the actual Montieths original but I think this is better!

:) Exactly what i thought.

LRG...... i found my recipe had a better body with a smooth creaminess..... especially if you use whole flowers.

Id mash it at 66, Notto will leave it dryer that most other english yeasts but it will still be great!

cheers

Has anybody used another base malt ? Ive got a sack of Marris Otter FM, I was thinking of using this.
Cheers
Peter

will be fine.... do it!

Yeah I found this one to have more body than the actual one which i found made this a better beer than the orignal.

I used the Craft Brewer Dried English Ale Yeast and used the whole flowers.

Bloody hell... Now I am thirsty thinking about this but wont be brewing another one of these for a few weekends!

Ill be using MO as the base malt, instead of GP, the only reason is that I have a fresh sack of it here atm. Ill be using mainly TF malts and Wyeast 1098 British Ale. I was going to do a TTLA, but that is now on the back burner, so have bought this recipe forward to next W/End. Cant wait looks like another tasty brew coming up :D

have a read of the 2nd post in this thread mate....... Its all there:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=858891

Thanks mate,

Makes a difference not reading it at work - I take in more stuff.

I remember you saying yours was creamier, but didn't notice you say "now the original seems mousey and watery" - that's enough for me.

I've altered the grain bill slightly - used TFFMMO as the base, and some red wheat (briess) for head retention.

Might use some wills, but I've got enough Pacific Gem flowers to do this right.

Goomba

If you use a liquid, use a dryish english strain like 1318, 1275, 1084 1028, 1098...... and the 1272 yanky II would work too.

cheers

Tony - OUt of the WYeast above what would be your pick for this one? Brewing it again soon so will grab some yeast as well... I have 1272 on hand but happy to get the right yeast for this as I will be keeping this one on tap for a while!

Camo

1275 is a great yeast with a dry but malty finish, but to be honest.... and i said this to a fellow brewer last night over a couple beers...... if i was told i could only ever use one yeast strain for all my brewing ever again, i would chose 1272 ;)

Back