RecipeDB - Midnight Train Malt Liquor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score

Midnight Train Malt Liquor

Specialty - American Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

See discussion thread for method, as US - style cereal mashes are involved.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
1 kg TF Flaked Maize
0.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.3 kg Powells Melanoidin (Powells Malts)
1 kg Rice Solids
0.6 kg Cane Sugar

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
20 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

50 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.089 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.022 (calc)
  • Bitterness 22.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 8.77%
  • Colour 9 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

But what does it taste like?
I kinda imagine VB with vodka in it for some reason.

I don't understand what it is you do to the db Bribie. While the db is totally lacking in ingredients and styles and makes a discussion thread before you've finished adding the recipe, it works for me every time. I clicked your link and got a recipe that was obviously unfinished a bit earlier. Now when I click it I get a broken link.

I did find this though: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1258

I don't understand what it is you do to the db Bribie. While the db is totally lacking in ingredients and styles abd makes a discussion thread before you've finished adding the recipe, , it works for me every time. I clicked your link and got a recipe that was obviously unfinished a bit earlier. Now when I click it I get a broken link.

I did find this though: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1258

Should be all good now Manticle. Works my end anyway, about to write the cereal mash essay and will post soon :icon_cheers:
I think the biggest problem with the DB is that it doesn't have a "scratch pad" mode, so as you build the recipe it's immediately visible to forum members and if you aren't quick enough it looks - temporarily - as if you haven't put hops in etc etc.

Try clearing your cache maybe.

:icon_cheers:

Works now. I agree on the visibility to forum members thing. Annoys me when I see a post 2 seconds after the recipe becomes visible saying 'what no hops? OG 1011? 2 IBU WTF??!!

but really the fault lies with the db design. Is it finished now - at the moment I get 11.2 IBu and 2 x lots of 500g ale malt?

Interested in the cereal mash particularly (and photos of you in the gutter with a 'for sale' sign on your shirt).

Malt liquors are a style of American beer that arose in the 1950s as a strong "cocktail" beer aimed at the golf and social club scene but nowadays regarded as a cheap and cheerful means of getting drunk for less than $6 - yup. Well loved by rapper crews. All the major brewers do them and they are sold almost exclusively in 40 ounce, about the same as our 1.25L bottles.

Generally low in hops and high in adjucts such as sugar, rice and maize. However with my recipe (on to #3 now) there is a pleasing smoothness and alcohol heat quite reminiscent of Euro Super lagers such as Tennents Super, Skol, Kestrel etc. Enjoy responsibly and consult your doctor if pain persists.

Because there is a large amount of rice and maize cereal adjuncts it's a good idea to do a USA style cereal mash first to convert these grains in the alpha amylase range of >70 degrees Celsius.

What you do is take a portion of a high diastatic base malt and use that to pre-convert the cereal 'mush' that you have cooked up in stockpots. In the DB recipe I have listed 2 portions of 500g of BB Ale malt, one for the rice and one for the maize . If you have a larger pot, for example gas fired, then combine the cereals in one pot. Any Aus malt would do, but not an English Malt such as Maris Otter, which does not have the necessary diastatic power.

Here's a guide to cereal mashing.

I do mine a bit arse about, boil them first in the stockpot to get the grains fully gelatinised before hitting them with the malt enzymes: I use cheap ALDI rice and Polenta for the maize, then drop them to about 74 and then add the dry malted grain and stir like buggery, and then let them cool to mash temperature and add to the main malt mash. At the low 70s the mush suddenly becomes very loose and 'soupy' as the alpha amylase goes to work within a few seconds.

Just adding the cereal mush to an isothermal mash at, say 65 degrees works to a point, but by doing it at over 70 degrees it targets the Alpha Amylase and can produce a smooth and meaty beer.

Use an American Ale yeast and ferment below 20

:icon_drunk:

Edit, I should expand to say that you would do the main malt mash as normal, around 65 degrees and add the cereal mash products into the main mash to obtain that temp.

Thanks Bribie.. I was wondering what yeast you used! I was thinking it was going to be a lager but pleased with ale as it is sooooo much easier and quicker when you have a small window of time to get beer in kegs!! Will def have a go at this when I next get a chance to brew...

Yes I would imagine that the USA breweries would use their house lager yeast, but the American ale yeasts such as US-05 are so clean that who GAF :icon_cheers: If you have access to Pacman yeast then that's a really good choice as well. Another perfect hop is Galena.

Congratulations on your persistence BribieG, seems you've nailed it this time! ;)
I had the good fortune to sample a variant of this a few weeks ago, holds >8.5% v/v quite well, I knew it was strong but not OTT for hot alcohol IMO, cloaks that quite well and I wondered what had hit me. :icon_drunk:

Except for the porpoise of experimentation, with all the great other HG beer styles, Im kinda confused why you would bother with this variant.
For the same price you could be sipping Tripple, RIS or Barley Wine!

Not everyone likes tripples, ris or barleywines :D

I spent half my time @ uni getting pissed and listening to "40oz to freedom". Thanks for posting bribyG

Just adding the cereal mush to an isothermal mash at, say 65 degrees works to a point, but by doing it at over 70 degrees it targets the Alpha Amylase and can produce a smooth and meaty beer.

Excuse me if im wrong here Bribie, if your'e performing the cereal mash at 70, Alpha Amylase is debranching and opening up the starch matrix to B Amylase. Consequently, when you add this back to a typical 65deg mash, you would end up with extra conversion (more than what you would typically see) and a higher fermentable wort. I think the only way you would end up with a meatier beer is to do two HIGH HIGH mashes, avoiding B Amylase as much as possible. e.g. 70:70 deg for both.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Except for the porpoise of experimentation, with all the great other HG beer styles, Im kinda confused why you would bother with this variant.
For the same price you could be sipping Tripple, RIS or Barley Wine!

Trippel is alot different to a RIS or barley wine. The latter are typically BIG bodied beers, Trippel is not. Trippel, IIPA, Hooch Juice, Imperial Pilsners etc should not have the body of a RIS or Balreywine. Therefore you will end up with a much more sesionable high alcohil quaffer. Which is why you would make this style over a big bodied meaty RIS or barleywine. :icon_cheers:

having not tried it before I'd be interested in trying it just for the sake of trying it. not really differant to my future plans to make weird beers like kvass etc

besides Bribie is the king of adjunct

on another note I cant imagine that malt liquor is good for the waistline? ie worse than other beers? ie a lot of leftover sugars, lots of Kj ?

Tried some at BABBs last month... no idea it was as strong as you say... would have picked it at around 6%... but definitely not greater than 8.5%...

Too easy to drink... really smooth, with only a tiny bit of heat... good bitterness balance (Chinook is my fav) my kind of heavy ale... not sure how i'd go after a 40 though :party:

I think about making this for fun but then I think I'd rather do a skull splitter clone.

Malt Liquor (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.082 (P): 19.8
Colour (SRM): 5.7 (EBC): 11.2
Bitterness (IBU): 11.9 (Average)

49.39% Pale Ale Malt
12.35% Rice
12.34% Maize
7.41% Corn Sugar
6.17% Pale Ale Malt
6.17% Pale Ale Malt
6.17% Wheat Malt, Dark

0.9 g/L Cluster (5.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)

0.6 g/L Yeast Nutrient @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Gelatin @ 0 Days (Secondary)
0.2 g/L Polyclar @ 0 Days (Secondary)

2xseperate cereal mashes - rice and polenta
Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 16C with Danstar Nottingham

Notes:
set batch size 18.5L = full cube 16.7L Hot + 1.9L dead wort in kettle Hot +1 L trub
Set grain absorbtion to .6L/kg

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Looking for opinion on this recipe. Have subbed in what I have on hand; The dark wheat hoping it might add what leaving out the carapils and melanoidin had taken away. Also will cluster and nottingham do the job?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob

Latest posts

Back