RecipeDB - Meerkat's Challenger ESB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score

Meerkat's Challenge ESB

Ale - English Strong (Extra Special) B
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

60 min POR hop addition is FWH, Prefered yeast is Wyeast 1469 fermented at 18c, Other wyeasts used with this recipe with good results wyeast 1275, 1028, 1318, 1968.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.15 kg TF Crystal
0.15 kg Weyermann Caraaroma
0.1 kg TF Brown Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
45 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 20mins)
30 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 0mins)
30 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

125 ml Wyeast Labs 1275 - Thames Valley Ale

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.054 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 44 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.2%
  • Colour 25 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Apologies, the Challenger name comes out of the recipe development of this beer. I spent 3 to 5 years trying to develop a well balanced ESB that is easy drink and but still some uniqueness about it without taking anything away from the style. First public outing for this was the Adelaide Mash Brewers ESB challenge which it was the winner. Last two years it has won 1st place at SABSOSA in the Bitters section, unfortunately it hasn't repeated the same success at a Nationals level.

So to me it's my Challenger, the beer I like to put up there in comps, it my favourite beer I brew and it enjoy by my mate too and tastes great through a hand pump too

No worries. I was interested to compare as I have an all challenger (hop) esb recipe that I'm trying to repeat.

I wasn't sure if it was just an oversight in regards to your db entry that there were no challenger hops in it.

The meerkat challenge ESB.

Bottoms up.

Latest posts

Back