RecipeDB - Mac and Jacks African Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score

Mac and Jacks African Amber

Ale - American Amber Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Sweetened dried orange peel gets 15 minutes boil.
This is arguably Seattle's best beer, and has quite a following. This recipe is adapted from a guy who brewed about a dozen variations before he was happy. You gotta love that commitment. Someone who worked there swears they don't use sweetened dry orange peel, so it must be a peculiar yeast character. If you like APAs, this will surprise you, because the bitter is slightly more menacing and dark. It takes a few weeks before the flavours settle in, so an early taste may scare you, particularly if you used fresh orange peel (seville) instead of the dried.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5.6 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.54 kg JWM Dark Munich
0.3 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.28 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
60 g Centennial (Pellet, 10.0AA%, 60mins)
34 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 2mins)
17 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

1.2 ml Wyeast Labs 1098 - British Ale

Misc

25 g Orange Peel
1 g Irish Moss
25L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.06 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 58.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 5.86%
  • Colour 19 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 3 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Do you chuck the peel in primary?

Do you chuck the peel in primary?
Sorry, hadn't finished editing when i had to take my son out to the movies. I'll fix the recipe.

Yes, the peel gets about 15 minutes boil. First time I used the packet sweetened dry orange peel, the second time I used the fresh. Both worked a treat.

This is arguably Seattle's best beer, and has quite a following. I find their batches inconsistent, but brilliant at their best. This recipe is at least as good, if not better. It's adapted from a guy who brewed about a dozen variations before he was happy. You gotta love that commitment. Someone who worked there swears they don't use sweetened dry orange peel, so it must be a peculiar yeast character, because this is very close to their flavour.

If you like APAs, this will surprise you, because the bitter is slightly more menacing and dark. It takes a few weeks before the flavours settle in, so an early taste may scare you, particularly if you used fresh sweetened dry orange peel instead of the dried.

Latest posts

Back