RecipeDB - little creature pale ale clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score

easy beginners pale ale

Ale - English Pale Ale
Kit & Kilo
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

10 days secondary is cold crashed in the fridge, hops was a tea bag in primary, amber LME was a Thomas coopers traditional draught kit. O.G was 1.060 F.G was 1.015 with a abv of 5.8%

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.7 kg Coopers LME - Amber
1.5 kg Coopers LME - Wheat
0.5 kg Dextrose

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
11 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

7 ml Coopers - Cooper Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.052 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.07%
  • Colour 17 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 12 days

needs more late addition hops. look up some of the other LCPA clones on this site

Would definitely need to increase the flameout addition to at least 1-1.5g/L and chuck in around the same amount of cascade/chinook at 10min as well.

Might even want to throw some more hops in earlier on to increase the bitterness to around 40IBU.

I'm sure someone has a more accurate IBU level for the real deal but it would definintely be too sweet without anything else.

Sponge

Ok, well like I said I got the recipe from the owner of my LHBS I don't know if it is a little creatures clone as I've never tried LCPA that's just what he called it. I was thinking it wasn't complete because I had forgotten the yeast..

Would definitely need to increase the flameout addition to at least 1-1.5g/L and chuck in around the same amount of cascade/chinook at 10min as well.

Might even want to throw some more hops in earlier on to increase the bitterness to around 40IBU.

I'm sure someone has a more accurate IBU level for the real deal but it would definintely be too sweet without anything else.

Sponge

I didn't even do a boil on this just did it noob style into the fermenter with a jug of boiling water, added the tea bag and 21L water whisked the crap out of it added the yeast and let it be.

well u used a kit so that should sort out bitterness. but LCPA is a hoppy beer with aroma and flavour. should still be drinkable but next time do a 30 min boil and do the additions sponge said. consider steeping grain too.

well u used a kit so that should sort out bitterness. but LCPA is a hoppy beer with aroma and flavour. should still be drinkable but next time do a 30 min boil and do the additions sponge said. consider steeping grain too.

Will do thanks for the advice..think I'll go check out some of the better LCPA recipes ..... Cheers

Perfect example of why people need to test and try recipes before randomly throwing shit on the database.

And also a good reason why you dont wanna listen to your local home brew guy, Paulie, he obviously doesnt know his dick from his ear.

This maybe a starting point

Boonies Little Creatures Pale ale

Ingredients -
1.7kg Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5Kg Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract
40g Cascade pellets
15g Chinook pellets
Safale US56 yeast

Notes -
boil 6L water with liquid malt.
Add 25g Cascade for 15mins
Add 15g Cascade at flame out
cool pot in sink
pour wort into fermenter
Pour kit can into fermeter
top up fermentor to 23L
ferment at 16-18 degrees
rack to secondary

dry hop with 15g Chinook pellets

Racked after 7 days
OG - 1047
FG - 1013
Alcohol - 5.2%

Just thinking (although i dont know exact numbers) that the kits would only be around 25IBU or so?

Happy to be proven wrong though since I'm just pulling out numbers now...

I know theyre posted somewhere but really cbf looking for them.

Either way, definitely need to up the late additions a fair bit.

The above post would be a pretty good starting point, along with buying yourself some real LCPA to try.

Sponge

Perfect example of why people need to test and try recipes before randomly throwing shit on the database.

I have tried it that's why it says tasty in the description...and I think my LHBS guy is more of a spirits guy and just follows recipes he gets of the manufacturer...

Just thinking (although i dont know exact numbers) that the kits would only be around 25IBU or so?

The above post would be a pretty good starting point, along with buying yourself some real LCPA to try.

Sponge

some IBU values

ORIGINAL SERIES

coopers lager; 20.9 IBU

coopers draught; 22.5 IBU

coopers real ale; 30.0 IBU

INTERNATIONAL SERIES

coopers pale ale; 18.2 IBU

coopers european lager; 18.2 IBU

PREMIUM SELECTION

premium selection aust bitter; 26.5 IBU

premium selection traditional draught; 22.5 IBU

premium selection sparkling ale; 26.3 IBU

BREWMASTER SELECTION

brewmaster selection pils; 22.5 IBU

brewmaster selection IPA; 38.0 IBU

brewmaster selection Wheat Beer; 16.1 IBU

Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer [claims on web] ; 20 IBU

Sponge

Will do.....too the bottle-o

Sponge

Will do.....too the bottle-o

If you haven't brewed it, what's to discuss?

If you want feedback or help with a recipe, there are plenty of other threads people have started just asking for help. Start your own or search for an already existing thread and post for feedback. Plenty will offer advice (some good, some bad but that's life).

No wish to be an arsehole or belittle anyone but please - the database should be for recipes you have made and believe are worth passing onto others, not something someone, somewhere told you about. Think of a recipe book - you reckon any book worth its salt hasn't seen those recipes made dozens of times prior to publishing?

I know you're new so please don't let this post make you feel unwelcome or like you shouldn't post. More kit and extract brews that ARE tried and tested would probably be very welcome to many in a sea of AG recipes (although versions of most AG recipes can be made with extract/kit and spec grains) so please brew this (or something else), tweak it and then post when you think you're onto a winner.

Back