RecipeDB - LC Single Batch Cascade IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booyablack

Reaction score

LC Single Batch Cascade IPA Clone

IPA - American Pale Ale
Kit & Kilo
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

The Coopers Amber LME is actually the Thomas Coopers IPA kit.
The 0 min additions of Cascade are for dry hopping both the primary and the secondary.

This turned out a lot like the Little Creatures Single Batch IPA I based it on. Very happy with it, loving the bitterness and the hoppiness of this brew.

Hydrometer readings suggested that it came out at 7.5%abv so it's got some kick too!

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.8 kg Coopers LME - Amber
1.5 kg Coopers LME - Light
0.5 kg Generic DME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 30mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 20mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.054 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 19.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.33%
  • Colour 18 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

I chucked this on last night. Did the boil with the IPA can in, but added the LME and DME when putting it the fermenter. The IPA can seemed to have a lot of solid grain still in the mix, which floated up when in the boil.

Also, didn't strain the boil and just tipped it all in. I think this was a bad idea, as the first hydrometer reading was pretty chunky with hops haha. Oh well, it should come good when we rack.

Took ages to cool it down too, so I'm a little worried about infection. Hopefully it'll all be fine. Ended up pitching the yeast at about 30C as we weren't going to get it any cooler quickly.

The OG was 1048, but at a higher temp. At 20C, it would be about 1050.

I will let people know how it goes.

I chucked this on last night. Did the boil with the IPA can in, but added the LME and DME when putting it the fermenter. The IPA can seemed to have a lot of solid grain still in the mix, which floated up when in the boil.

Also, didn't strain the boil and just tipped it all in. I think this was a bad idea, as the first hydrometer reading was pretty chunky with hops haha. Oh well, it should come good when we rack.

Took ages to cool it down too, so I'm a little worried about infection. Hopefully it'll all be fine. Ended up pitching the yeast at about 30C as we weren't going to get it any cooler quickly.

The OG was 1048, but at a higher temp. At 20C, it would be about 1050.

I will let people know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes,Ive got a lot of cascades growing at the moment so looking for some good cascade recipes thanks

Racked it last week... there was a LOT of hops residue in the bottom of the primary. Hop filters are pretty important it turns out. It had a FG of 1020 after 8 days at 18 - 20 degrees.

Bottled tonight (bulk primed with 100g of plain sugar) after one week of racking at around 23 degrees. The normal amount of sediment on the bottom of the secondary, all the brown sludge yeast residue. Seems any excess hops didn't make it to the secondary.

Beer tastes pretty good at the moment (uncarbonated). Maybe a bit more bitter and less aromatic than I would have thought. But the bubbles may alter the taste. Will report on final flavour after a couple of weeks.

We totally ruined this haha.

I'm not sure if it's because of leaving the hops residue in for the whole primary or because it took too long for the wort to cool (with all that hops in it), but this beer is not an IPA.

The result is a VERY bitter beer with no aroma or flavour to speak of.

This doesn't reflect against the recipe, just again not straining out the hops or using hop bags haha.

what are peoples opinions on adding some simcoe or chinook hops to this recipe?

Hi, I have been brewing for 20 years and have made every type of kit and kilo available. I made this beer a month ago, and followed the recipe but used fresh hops ( i grow myself) instead of pellets. This beer is a cracker... well worth brewing. Its hoppy, malty, classic ipa. three weeks after bottling, it is tasting REALLY good. Perfect head, taste, and hop / malt contrast ( I like really hoppy beers.) Definitely worth having a go at this. Cant wait to taste it in a few months, showing plenty of potential as one of the best beers i have ever made. Thanks for the upload to the site !

Latest posts

Back