RecipeDB - Jever homage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score

Jever homage

Pilsner - German Pilsner
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

the malt is weyermann premium pilsener, for extra pale colour.
pitching 2 packs of saflager 3470.
the final mittelfrüh addition will be a hop tea added during 2ndry.
brewed this up 22/4/11. 1049, pitched yeast at 9ºC. 2 weeks at 11C and it's down to 1011, no esters but a bit of diacetyl. diacetyl rest @15C for four days. finished at 1007, got 3 months at 0ºC and then bottled it. very nice! the hop tea gives it a nice green edge, and the malt is strong in flavour even though very dry and pale.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.15 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.075 kg Weyermann Acidulated

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
40 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 1mins)
30 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
30 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 0mins)
20 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)
20 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 10mins)
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.049 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 42.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 82%
  • Alcohol 4.27%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 20 days
  • Secondary 60 days
  • Conditioning 8 days

so... i want:

the palest pilsener i can. like some german pilseners are so pale they're almost green. so i've chosen weyermann premium pils malt.

dry and bitter and extremely hoppy and spicy. i want to try a hop tea in 2ndry here on top of all the other additions to try to get that elusive leafy inyourface hop character.

i have used mittelfrh and tettnang as that is what jever use apparently.

apparently they also use carapils? although i think this info came from wheeler and protz's book which is an interesting mixture of educated guesses and complete speculative fantasy. anyway i want a low low low FG, so i kept the carapils to a minimum, and i will mash 90mins at 63-64C in a nice loose mash.

soft sydney water with acidulated malt to adjust pH.

yeastwise, i am going with saflager 3470 not without some sleepless nights wondering about how attenuative it's going to be. it's nice and neutral anyway and i don't want any diacetyl, esters or sulfur to get in the way of the malt and hops. and i can pitch 2 packs and not have to worry about massive liquid yeast starters for lagers.

planning to start it 9C and let it rise to 11C max, with a nice long lagering - 2 months i think should do it.

Sounds great but do you not want decent sulphates to enhance hop bitterness and flavour?

My style of beer!

yeastwise, i am going with saflager 3470 not without some sleepless nights wondering about how attenuative it's going to be.

NM - is it worth going a Bribie inspired 'double drop' after 18 hours to get the yeast firing?

Seems to be two camps where one believes the DB is for tried & true recipes, the other for any recipe you like.

I'm not getting into the debate, just answering your question mark :)

Seems to be two camps where one believes the DB is for tried & true recipes, the other for any recipe you like.

I'm not getting into the debate, just answering your question mark :)

:icon_offtopic:
For me as a learning AG'er I find it difficult looking through recipes when I don't know they are good ones. I'm not sure how the star rating works but it'd be good if some proper rating system was used and then only rated recipes were shown by default.

:icon_offtopic:
For me as a learning AG'er I find it difficult looking through recipes when I don't know they are good ones. I'm not sure how the star rating works but it'd be good if some proper rating system was used and then only rated recipes were shown by default.
There is definitely a lot of rubbish then there, but probably some unrated diamonds too. Try sort by star rating then sort your the style - that will give you a good list to start looking though

Well I'll certainly be updating it as it progresses.. And I've been making allgrain pilseners for 9 years so it's not exactly an experiment. I know what I'm doing. but why have a discussion thread if there aren't recipe choices ("experiments")to discuss?

Well I'll certainly be updating it as it progresses.. And I've been making allgrain pilseners for 9 years so it's not exactly an experiment. I know what I'm doing. but why have a discussion thread if there aren't recipe choices ("experiments")to discuss?

I think there's not enough emphasis on rating them. In most styles I looked at there were only a couple which had any ratings and most only had 1 or 2 (and I assumed the person adding the recipe gave themselves a rating).

I know there's plenty of discussion on a lot of recipes which aren't rated at all, surely if there's that much discussion someone has rated it?

Sounds great but do you not want decent sulphates to enhance hop bitterness and flavour?

My style of beer!

Ordinarily I do adjust pH with a mix of gypsum and cacl2 but since jever go on and on about their soft brew water in their marketing I might as well do the same. Should be plenty of bitterness and hop flavour anyway...

(and I assumed the person adding the recipe gave themselves a rating).

Certainly not in my case. That's for the bulldust.

As for finding recipes, your best bet is probably to find one you think you might like and read the discussion thread. Ask questions in there and research the history and recommendations for the style you are after.

The flavour of the week threads will probably give you a better understanding of what you're after than a rating system.

Sorry for OT Neonmate.

My understanding of wtaer for soft brews like pilsner urquell is that sulphates would be out of place anyway despite a good level of hop bitterness being apparent in the finished product.

this beer is just peaking now, 6 weeks in the bottle after 3 months lagering at 0C. this premium pilsener malt is good stuff, still has plenty of malt flavour despite being so pale. this beer turned out very nice indeed, dry but with long fine malt backbone, and fresh herbal flowery hop flavour, long clean bitterness. might ramp it up to 55 or 60 IBU next time though. hooray for pils.

Wey floor malted is good stuff too. Might be worth a crack if this recipe ends up well.

Good job on three months lagering. My recent pils got 4 weeks (but I only have the one fridge and it only fits one cube or fermenter at a time).

Back