RecipeDB - Hopping Mad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynebrew

Reaction score

Not So...Hopping Mad

Ale - American Lager
Extract
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

1.7kg Coopers Lager
30g Cascade Hops - 6.8%
20g Galaxy Hops - 13.9%
1kg Dex
Us-05 yeast

Did a 15 min boil with around 1/4 of the malt along with the cascade. 10mins in I added the galaxy and remaining malt to the fermenter with the normal process. Dry hopped this after a few days with the rest of the galaxy.

I have it in the bottle now, smells the goods. Cracked it after around 1 month, really happy with the result.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.7 kg Generic DME - Light
1 kg Dextrose

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.045 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 9.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.42%
  • Colour 9 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Sheesh, I whacked double that in my keg just to dry hop for a bit of aroma (30g Cascade, 30g Willamette - I'm not fussed on will as a dry hopper).

It's not hoppy unless it's got at least 200g of hops in it, and the majority of that less than 30 minutes.

Heck, my most basic APA had 100g before dry hopping, and I would never have called it hoppy.

</picked up on BeerFingers' sarcasm>

Sheesh, I whacked double that in my keg just to dry hop for a bit of aroma (30g Cascade, 30g Willamette - I'm not fussed on will as a dry hopper).

It's not hoppy unless it's got at least 200g of hops in it, and the majority of that less than 30 minutes.

Heck, my most basic APA had 100g before dry hopping, and I would never have called it hoppy.

</picked up on BeerFingers' sarcasm>

haha pick on the newbie fellas, its all good

haha pick on the newbie fellas, its all good

Good to see you've got a good sense of humour :icon_cheers:

Seriously - if you are in Bris-vegas, get down to craftbrewer, have a go at Ross' taps (especially anything that's an APA) and you'll get an idea of what hoppiness and hop flavour is about.

Pay for the 20 tap tasting, and educate your palate. And you will realise how good home brew really can be.

His falconer's flight drop isn't a bad drop, and the galaxy one isn't far behind it.

Goomba

Good to see you've got a good sense of humour :icon_cheers:

Seriously - if you are in Bris-vegas, get down to craftbrewer, have a go at Ross' taps (especially anything that's an APA) and you'll get an idea of what hoppiness and hop flavour is about.

Pay for the 20 tap tasting, and educate your palate. And you will realise how good home brew really can be.

His falconer's flight drop isn't a bad drop, and the galaxy one isn't far behind it.

Goomba

haha yeah i went not long ago with my mate liam_snorkel to get his keg setup. it was an eye opener thats for sure. i will have to have a sample next time im
in there for supplies. ive been hitting archive and brisbane brewhouse as much as possible to try this and that.

cheers for the advice goomba

:beer:

Also - just because it says "Lager" on the tin of goop doesn't mean it's a lager.

You're using US-05 - which makes it an Ale.

(Are we being trolled?)

and if you can find an 8wired hopwired IPA it has about 18g/L

Latest posts

Back