RecipeDB - Honey Raspberry Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batemanbrewer

Reaction score

Honey Raspberry Wheat Beer

Wheat - American Wheat
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Add 900g-1kg of honey to the boil. Add frozen raspberries to secondary. Used cheap deliverance finings.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.4 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.45 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.45 kg JWM Vienna - Wendouree Gold
0.25 kg JWM Wheat Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
55 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 60mins)
55 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)
55 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

125 ml Wyeast Labs 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Misc

2000 g Red Raspberries
37L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 36.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 15 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 3 days

Looks ok as the wife is a big fan of sam adams cherry wheat. Just doesnt seem like much wheat for a wheat beer though, i have never had a real go at one but doesnt seem like much wheat.

That's an original take on a wheat beer. I brewed a similar raspberry wheat not long ago http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=43586

I was surprised to see so little wheat malt in your recipe, only 250 grams. By German law that wouldn't count as a wheat beer, they require at least 50% wheat. Using the 3068 I would be interested to hear if you still get the clove character and the ninja yeast blow off despite the lack of wheat.

I used a neutral yeast and kept the bitterness low so the raspberry flavour could stand out. I'd be interested to hear how the honey works with it all.

Yeah I know, I know, I shouldn't have really put wheat in the title. I wanted a subtler wheat flavour, fingers crossed it'll turn out OK. If anything, the wheat should at least help with head retention etc. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I have a feeling it'll be a hit with the ladies ;) . May amp up the wheat in the next batch to see if it helps overall.

Just had a look at your recipe Jakub, we came up with similar grains but in a totally different profile. I'll try not to churn mine up too much to keep the flavour as your recipe suggests. Will definitely try more wheat next time and might do a side by side with the different yeasts we used. Will be interesting. I'll keep you updated.

Have a taste after primary before committing your raspberries to it.
I have a feeling it'll be a hit with the ladies ;)
at 39 IBU you might find it puts hair on their chests.

Haha, yeah, that's without the raspberry accounted for though. Hopefully not as bitter as the DB tells me.

True, I might do a side by side with and without raspberry with the first batch. It's a 37L brew to start with.

This turned out great!!! Tried a couple of stubbies today.

I didn't get the efficiency i usually get for some reason so the beery taste is a little weak and overpowered by a strong raspberry taste. I might do this again and try and get a semi-decent efficiency (can't imagine why it was so low with this brew). Also might use a little less raspberry, but then again I might just use the same amount and try and get the efficiency right and see if it balances out. Then another with more wheat. Looking forward to perfecting this one as the prototype is still great.

Worth trying guys.
Let me know if you do.
Mitch.

Back