RecipeDB - Ginger Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try fermenting with US 05 at 15-16C next time. With the extra Ginger that I want to add, I think Lager Yeast may be wasted.
For my taste it was lacking Ginger, but it seems to be hitting the spot with many others.
Then I need to start working on a Gluten free version for a couple of friends.

I am going to try fermenting with US 05 at 15-16C next time.

Funny you should say that...I was considering that option myself, to be able to knock one out fairly fast...(reletively speaking, of course.)

I am going to try fermenting with US 05 at 15-16C next time. With the extra Ginger that I want to add, I think Lager Yeast may be wasted.
For my taste it was lacking Ginger, but it seems to be hitting the spot with many others.
Then I need to start working on a Gluten free version for a couple of friends.

Well i have to admit that i took the easy option on this one rather than build up the 2278 into an active starter.

Found a pack of nottingham in the fridge so chucked that in instead. I did manage to brew this on the weekend amongst all the things i had to do and constant stream of people dropping in. 30kg of apricots were picked, have preserved 10kg and am drying another 5kg now. Funny thing is the tree doesnt look like its been touched...... If only my wallet was the same.

Will hopefully have this on tap in a week or 2.

Jeff - if you are dropping past during the week any chance you could drop off a bottle of your batch so i know what i am making!

Like the sound of this ginger pils.
I'd be tempted to make it change it into an ale of sorts just so I can pump it out quicker.

Jeff - if you are dropping past during the week any chance you could drop off a bottle of your batch so i know what i am making!
Hopefully brewing this weekend, so will drop a couple in. Vintage has now started, so into the silly season.

Like the sound of this ginger pils.
I'd be tempted to make it change it into an ale of sorts just so I can pump it out quicker.
The main reason for me using WY2278, was that I was making a true Czech Pilsner at the same time, so nicked a bit of yeast from my starter and put into the ferment fridge at the same time.
If you are keen on a lower ginger flavour, I think a lager yeast would add a nice touch. If you love a good ginger burn (like me) I think a lager ferment and temps may be wasted.

Update time

Its now on tap. I have to agree with Boston that its a nice drop but there is something missing. Its a bit thin.

Luverly ginger bite that lingers but i reckon it needs some spec malts. maybe a little amber malt, or crystal. Maybe sub in some munich or vienna for some of the pilsner?

Its bloody refreshing tho! So easy to drain pint after pint especially as mine is 3-3.5%. It wont last long!

(Picked up my ginger from a local asian grocery store out near work that i frequent for $10/kg - fresh as it gets)

Did you compensate for the lower OG by changing your mash schedule? ;)

Which grocery, btw...I didn't realise there was one that close to me.

Did you compensate for the lower OG by changing your mash schedule? ;)

Which grocery, btw...I didn't realise there was one that close to me.

I didnt aim for a low OG beer, i got distracted and forgot i was even brewing......

I'll be doing this again and soon.

World Asian Grocery - 26-28 Catalina Ave, Parafield Gardens - (08) 8258 5198

HUGE shop, with its own butcher and fresh veg.

Closeby in a shopping cnetre on Salisbury Hwy is a chinese butcher who does fresh chinese bbq and pork etc

:D Hey guys just wondering if any one has tryed a ale yeast with this ginger beer and if not why ?
Cheers Phil :D

:D Hey guys just wondering if any one has tryed a ale yeast with this ginger beer and if not why ?
Cheers Phil :D
Phil
I think Smurto tried this with Nottingham and Butters and Muckey were going to do a US05 version.
I still Have not got back to brewing this one again, but was planning on using US05. My bottled beer became over carbonated, I think the Ginger had a similar effect as dry enzyme. Still have not had the time to drill down on exactly what happened.
I would suggest the addition of some Munich I (20-30%), to help with the lack of mid palate, and some crystal (5%) to help with residual sweetness. I bought some Citric Acid for my next version, but not sure at what point I will use it yet.

Was anyone else having the same issue as Boston with over-carbonation? This sounds like a wonderful brew and I wanted to give it a try in the next week.

Finally got around to brewing this
swapped out the pils for trad ale
and is chugging along nicely with us-05 in the fermenting fridge
waiting to see how this turns out

Finally got around to brewing this
swapped out the pils for trad ale
and is chugging along nicely with us-05 in the fermenting fridge
waiting to see how this turns out

And jeebus, it smelt good when the ginger and cloves got added to the boil. :icon_drool2:

I'm liking the look of this receipe!!

I have some Weizen yeast... wondering how it would go with this? My uneducated guess is that it would work well.. Any reason why it wouldnt?

Latest posts

Back