RecipeDB - fatter yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be putting this brew on tomorrow and have taken on board all the advice for adding extra amounts of hops etc.

I was just wondering when to dry hop this? It will be my first time dry hopping, and I just want to know, as the recipe calls for 'dry hop 3 days', does that mean dry hop 3 days into fermentation? or dry hop for 3 days?

Also, I bought a hop bag but it's huge, I was hoping I could just chuck in the hops on their own. I rack to another bottling vessel before bottling anyway so I doubt I'd be left with any hop trub.

Thanks guys.

i dry hop in the primary when it hits FG and just throw pellets straight in, originally i left it for 3 days after dry hopping but these days i dry hop in the keg instead

if you want it to be subtle like the real yak then 15g is probably enough but these days i go for 30g, nelson can seem a bit harsh if you go over the top on the dry hop though and will need a bit more time to settle down

Sorry to keep asking the same question, but I'm still a little confused with dry hopping.

The recipe calls for 14 days in primary at 18.3 deg.

If for example my fermentation is finished in 5 days, and I then add my hops. There's no way to get the hops out unless I use a bag, or I rack to secondary, but that will be too early right? It won't have been in primary for the whole 2 weeks. And if I wait till primary is done the hops will be in there for more than 7 days which I read can give off unwanted flavours.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the annoying questions!

14 days in primary is more a guide, if your using us-05 then it will probably need it to drop out a bit
i tend to use liquid yeasts these days and go for WLP001 or WLP090 over the WY1056 purely because they floc a lot better

with WLP090 the ferment is done in less than a week, as soon as i hit FG ill do a short D rest (dry hopping at this stage) then CC for a couple/few days and rack to the keg
that whole process can be as short as 8 - 9 days from pitching

theres no hard and fast rules really, a bit longer on the yeastcake may or may not be beneficial depending on what yeast your using and/or how well you manage your yeast and ferment temps, dry hop when FG is hit and your happy with how its tasting out of the fermenter

So what exactly is done for a d rest on this brew? I know what diacetyl rests are, just not how to do them.

I used US-05. Do I up the ferm temp by a couple of degrees after 7-8 days in primary ferm? I might dry hop at this stage also when I rack to secondary. Leave for 5 days, then crash chill.

Is this recommended?

Again sorry for all the questions, I have major fear of messing up a brew! This is only my 3rd AG!

no worries,
once its nearing FG you can start to rise the temp, i usually bring it up to ~20 for a day or 2 then crash chill when im happy

i used to take a million hydro samples to see how things were going but these days i just pour off small samples into shot glasses and taste my way through the ferment
you'll know when its nearly done and thats when you get the hydrometer out
should also be able to pick up on diacetyl if its there.. i cant really taste it but the slick/chewy mouthfeel gives it away

I had planned on buying the grain to brew this tomorrow, but the original link to the Recipe DB isn't working at the moment. Has anyone got it on hand to copy & paste into here?

Think I'll just go with the recipe Tones posted on the 1st page

Still have a question though, I've searched all the sponsor sites & can't seem to find Weyermanns Pale Malt or Carafoam or WLP090 Yeast?

Any ideas where I can get these?

Still have a question though, I've searched all the sponsor sites & can't seem to find Weyermanns Pale Malt or Carafoam or WLP090 Yeast?

breakbeer said:

That looks like a good recipe, only thing I know is that it is definitely dry hopped with both Nelson and Cascade. Whether you do or not is your choice of course.

Thanks Newtown Clown, I was looking for the exact spelling & didn't realise Ale/Pale Carafoam/Carapils were the same thing. I've already got Carapils, so that's a bonus!

AF; I've got plenty of Cascase & Nelson & I plan on dry hopping the shit out of it ;)

Finally cracked my keg of Fatter Yak on the weekend & GOD DAMN it is awesome!

Haven't done a side-by-side test yet, but I reckon mine is pretty damn close. Can't wait to smash a few tonight

Might have to try this recipe Glenn, if you reckon it's a winner...
When did you keg it?

breakbeer said:
Finally cracked my keg of Fatter Yak on the weekend & GOD DAMN it is awesome!

Haven't done a side-by-side test yet, but I reckon mine is pretty damn close. Can't wait to smash a few tonight

Only kegged it on Saturday, then force carbed

went with this recipe on Page 1, mainly coz the grain bill was easy to get from Keg King around the corner.

P.S, I forgot to dry hop so decided to taste it before considering dry hopping in the keg. Tasted freakin' awesome so I didn't bother

Recipe: Fatter Yak
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.87 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 11.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.10 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 80.4 %
0.45 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 8.8 %
0.45 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.8 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 4 2.0 %
30.00 g Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 24.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
20.00 g Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.9 IBUs
12.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 5.5 IBUs
12.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.70 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Da Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

This is my last no chill version of the recipe - It's about the fourth adjustment to the original I've made trying both cube hops, the original and a few adjusted hop schedules this is probably the one I'll sit on now. Not as bitter as most variants seem to be but the last one was so good I don't think I'll change it again; I'll simply work on consistency.

Fatter Yak (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 7.0 (EBC): 13.7
Bitterness (IBU): 32.9 (Rager - No Chill Adjusted)

80% Pale Ale Malt
8.89% Carapils (Dextrine)
8.89% Munich I
2.22% Crystal 120

0.2 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back