RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ Not having a go at you or anyone. I just think it's an interesting phenomenon, this DSGA. So many different versions. I like to be more creative with my naming conventions. New malt/yeast/hops = new beer, new name for me. But each to their own. It does seem the different combinations of yeast, malt and hops that fall under the banner of a version of DSGA is increasing exponentially with time!

Coodgee said:
^^ Not having a go at you or anyone. I just think it's an interesting phenomenon, this DSGA. So many different versions. I like to be more creative with my naming conventions. New malt/yeast/hops = new beer, new name for me. But each to their own. It does seem the different combinations of yeast, malt and hops that fall under the banner of a version of DSGA is increasing exponentially with time!
That's because each time i brewed a variation it retained the name.

I brewed it.

It was golden and an ale.

Don't overthink it.

I loved this receipe, done it lots, really like the rye version as well.

Cheers

This is so popular at my place it has it's own tap. Rye version, except I've never gotten hold of carabohemian. sub carapils instead. Can anyone tell me what I'll missing out on in flavour. cheers.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the original recipe that everyone loves? I downloaded it on beersmith, but not sure what version it is, as there appears to be a million. The recipe I have is:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.54 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 56.4 %
0.85 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 18.8 %
0.85 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 18.8 %
0.27 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 4 5.9 %
18.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs
23.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 14.4 IBUs
0.25 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
23.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 3.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
36.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.51 kg
----------------------------

I have 450g of Amarillo to use, so keen to brew this one for Christmas day. I'm thinking I might move the 20min addition to about 5 or 10min and bump it up a fair bit, then move 0min boil addition to whirlpool and bump that up too.

DrSmurto said:
That's because each time i brewed a variation it retained the name.

I brewed it.

It was golden and an ale.

Don't overthink it.
If you renamed every variation of every beer made, we would run out of names. The simple beauty is to look at the original and how it has taken upon itself a life of it's own. Look at the original (or any subsequent variation) and vary it to suit your tastes, your stock on hand, even your location.

This isn't the good Doctor's beer, its the people's beer. Give credit though to the man who published it, refined it, made a number of versions of it then answered a zillion questions (sensibly) to anyone who asked. Still a great beer for noobies (and experts) to make. And play with. And give your own fancy name too.

Well done DrSmurto :super:

Of course maybe thinking about this should post a question in ingredients to not drag this off topic. Would still love to hear ideas just for this recipe need to give it a crack.

Cheers guys

Coodgee said:
I think the relation back to DSGA, refers to the brewer having gained inspiration from the original and as such it is still steeped in DSGA heritage,,,,just as yanks like to refer to hoppo pale ales as AIPA.

I've made my fourth batch of this today - the good doctors latest version.
Only this time I did an additional hop stand with an additional 35g of Victoria that I grow - got from him I believe. I did the stand at 78c for 20 minutes.
I've had so many compliments on this beer it's amazing. Kudos to you Dr. It's my house beer and I keg it. Ive re-used the Wyeast 3 times now.
Check out the flowers. Got 89% efficiency on this go around with the grainfather.
I also kinda like that I don't have to dry hop it and it always turns out amazing.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492246565.273050.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492246611.505253.jpg

mtb said:
18.8% rye? Should be.. Interesting
I think replacing the wheat with rye and caramunich with carabohemian is Smurto's preferred version of it. Or at least it was a few years ago when I was brewing DSGA quite a bit. Have done both recipes a fair few times.
I'm pretty sure it can be found somewhere in the previous 52 pages. I'm not in the mood to be searching tho.

I made 50L of the original all Weyermann on the weekend.
After being all over the place with finishing volumes & gravities, I've finally dialed in my volumes thanks to a post by Midnight Brew but overshot my gravity by 6 points. Clearly my efficiency was set too low which has now been rectified. I'm looking down the barrel of a 5.1% ABV instead of the 4.7% I was aiming for. All good though, I'll just have to drink one less beer.

I am going to brew this myself this weekend, but first had to read it all. I feel so sorry for @drsmurto when he continually and patiently answered the same questions for ~10 years or so. Thank you for your contribution!
Sorry if this is also reviving an old thread, but maybe this could help?

Original Post:

2.4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.8 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.8 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.25 kg Weyermann Caramunich I

Mash in 66*C (60mins), mash out 78 (10mins). Boil for 90mins, first hop @ 60mins. Ferment at 18C.

20 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 60mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 5mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 0mins)

US-05 Yeast or WY1272 - American Ale II (personal favourite of drsmurto)

Dr. Smurto’s own compilation of thoughts:

· Article written by drsmurto compiling his thoughts on DSGA. Post #921 http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11013

PDF’s of Dr. Smurto’s recipes:

· PDF Recipe files uploaded by drsmurto on Post #668. Preference given to no dry-hopping as it gives a better balance.

Featured/Curated Comments, concerning AG brewing (since I don't have any experience with kits/extracts...):

1. 12/10/08 – Used JW Traditional and JW Caramalt instead of Pils and Caramunich. Scored 46/50 at SABSOSA.

2. 26/10/08 – “FYI - I recently made it [with No Chill Cube method] and found the bitterness to be a bit overpowering.” – glennheinzel

3. 26/10/08 – “I quite regularly ferment at 20-22C to try and force the yeast into ester production, more so when using a good english ale yeast but also with US05.” – drsmurto

4. 01/12/08 – “Because it's well balanced and the recipe is so simple, it's a good one to tinker with. For example, for my tastes I would use an ale malt instead of pils.” – RobB

5. 24/12/08 – “And since this beer has ~20% wheat it takes longer to clear in my experience.” – drsmurto

6. 11/03/09 – “i must say 1469 is in fact an excellent yeast to use with this one. it's quite a different beer to the 1056/us-05 variety” - ~MikE

7. 20/07/09 – “As others have noted, the aroma will dissipate with time. I like it both ways :eek: :lol: Fresh its an APA (albeit at the very low end of the scale in ABV and IBU) with plenty of hop aroma. Older its more like an english pale ale with the malt starting to take centre stage.” – drsmurto

8. 18/08/09 – “Question: Does this really need 14 days in the primary?” – Phoney

9. 18/08/09 – “Leaving beer for a bit longer, even when FG is reached, allows the yeast to clean up after itself so unwanted flavours can dissipate. Your best option is to buy another fermenter. My beers have improved tenfold since I became less concerned with getting them in the bottle just becasue I could.” – manticle

10. 09/10/09 – “Cascade blends beautifully with amarillo. As FGZ said if you only have 25g [of Amarillo] leave it for late additions.” – drsmurto

11. 11/12/09 – “Brewing my 1st major modification of this recipe on Sunday. Swapping out the wheat for rye. Thommo is currently fermenting a rye version so thought i'd do the same. Might also use munich II. The next variation after that is to try carawheat in place of the caramunich and maybe use dark wheat.” – drsmurto

12. 01/02/10 – “Keep the total IBU to 30 so adjust the 60 min addition accordingly. Whenever i design a recipe the 60 min hop addition is the last and is used to hit the target IBU. I prefer this schedule as the amarillo is boiled for longer for some flavour and the flameout addition is for aroma. Note that i chill so this will need changing if you plan on no chilling. I believe the no chillers don't add the 0 min addition and add it post ferment?” – drsmurto

13. 17/03/10 – “I've used the TF Maris Otter [instead of pils] in this. All good.” – drsmurto

14. 29/07/10 – “Priming wise i prime low(er) than commercial drinkers like. JSGA itself is primed lower than most commercial Australian beers. But, you can prime this as normal. The beer that got the gong a few years ago had been bottle conditioned for 2-3 months from memory and was carbed at a rate aiming for 2.0 volumes which is in the same ballpark as you would find in commercial bottled english ales. Its not overly spritzy but its not flat either. A happy medium IMO.” – drsmurto

15. 25/08/10 – “Do it! I use this grain bill to play around with other hops, last non amarillo batch was galaxy but have done cascade/chinook/centennial and combos of them.” – drsmurto

16. 25/08/10 – “Hop schedule for a 20L batch was 5.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.7 IBU 20.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (20 min) Hops 23.6 IBU 30.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) Hops” – drsmurto

17. 13/01/11 – “[Water Profile] Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm not keen to scan 13 pages of this thread to see if this has been discussed previously” – Warra48

18. 15/01/11 – “My additions to rainwater (assuming <0.1 ppm for all brewing salts as a base) are 10.0g CaSO4 and 3.0g CaCl2 per 35L of base water resulting in Ca 90, SO4 160, Cl 41 ppm pre-boil.” – drsmurto

19. 23/03/11 – “[In response to beer aged for 2 months] Glad to hear your patience was rewarded, i think this beer does get better with age, to a point. :icon_cheers:” – drsmurto

20. 14/04/11 – “I've brewed the golden ale with US-05, WY1056, WY1272, Pacman (cant be arsed finding the WY#), WY1187, WY1469 and WY1026. US05/WY1056 is probably the simplest for new brewers, a great balance of malt and hops. Pacman and WY1272 for those looking for something a bit more interesting.” – drsmurto

21. 21/06/11 – “This recipe has more hop flavour than JSGA. That said, if this is all new to you i would skip the dry hopping and see what you think. Nottinghman is not the same as US05. US05 highlights the hops, Nottingham mutes them. This may work in your favour as it will produce a milder hop flavour.” – drsmurto

22. 26/07/11 – “Sometimes you forget why you liked a recipe in the first place. I have bastardised this so much that the beers i brew that i call golden ales have very little resemblance to the original. Now i am drinking the original i can safely say I still love amarillo :drinks:” – drsmurto

23. 26/07/11 – “Another really nice Smurto brew is his Alt.” – raven19

24. 25/08/11 – “[Using lager yeast] I would expect given lagers take longer to ferment and condition that the amarillo flavour and aroma will be greatly reduced. I personally wouldn't.” – drsmurto

25. 16/11/11 – “I use this grist % in a lot of beers as well as the general hop schedule (great for homegrown chinook, cascade and victoria!). Still call them golden ales even if the only thing it has in common is the water. :p” – drsmurto

26. PDF Recipe files uploaded by drsmurto on Post #668. Preference given to no dry-hopping as it gives a better balance.

27. 14/12/11 – “I generally wait 15-20 minutes after flameout to chill to allow the aroma hops to steep.” – drsmurto

28. 12/01/12 – “Rather than dry hop you could steep some hops in boiled water and strain the liquid into the keg as you rack into it.” – drsmurto

29. 29/02/12 – “Wyeast 1272 (american ale II) or WhiteLabs 051 (California V) are my preferred yeasts.” – drsmurto

30. 19/03/12 – “I very rarely brew a golden ale with wheat anymore. 20% rye in this beer with a range of hops works a treat, cascade and galaxy are very nice together but my personal favourite is Victoria.” – drsmurto

31. 04/04/12 – “I tend to try and get some of the yeast over into the secondary as yeast plays a very important role in the development of flavours in the beer. Not much but enough that there is a good layer of yeast at the bottom of the secondary container by the end of the conditioning phase.” – drsmurto

32. 02/05/12 – “My favourite version/house ale is 55% Thomas Fawcetts MO 20% Wey rye 20% Wey vienna 5% Wey Carabohemian Magnum @ 60 Victoria 2g/L @ 20 Victoria 2g/l @ 0 WY1272 I brew the wheat/amarillo/US05 version for mates. The 55/20/20/5 grist is one i use for a lot of beers.” – drsmurto

33. 03/05/12 – “I've never done multiple mash steps in this beer. If i did it would probably be 64-65 for 60 and 70 for 20. Given you missed the desired mash temp by 2C I would repeat with a 66C mash before playing about with multiple rests. This finishes at 1.012 for me with a 66C mash. I have had it finish at 1.010 but that was a re-pitch of a lot of yeast.” – drsmurto

34. 02/08/12 – “[In regards to secondary] It depends on what you are after. I don't dry hop this and haven't for a very long time as i don't find it necessary. The flameout addition gives me all the aroma i want. If you want more aroma, dry hop. Dry hopping can be done in the primary fermenter, just wait until fermentation is done. Racking is optional, you can simply leave it in the primary fermenter for another week after fermetnation has finished. 2 weeks total would be the minimum, 3 better. I give my ales 2 weeks primary, rack and then 1-2+ weeks cold conditioning. Racking is one of the many aspects of brewing that divides brewers.” – drsmurto

35. 03/08/12 – “When brewing for me i prefer the rye/vienna version instead of wheat/munich and use whatever hop i have, more often that not that would be homegrown victoria or chinook.” – drsmurto

36. 15/08/12 – “[Cascade/Amarillo Hop Combo] 50/50 for flavour and aroma works a treat. If using these for bittering I'd use amarillo over cascade, i find cascade too harsh as a bittering hop.” – drsmurto

37. 25/08/12 – “I have just finished reading all 41 pages, wow that took a while!” – Aydos

38. 07/12/12 – “Patience/time is the cure for many brewing 'issues' but is the hardest part of brewing.” – drsmurto

39. 06/01/13 – “It's been debated before if you go back to the first few pages of this discussion. It won the english bitter section at ANAWBS in 2008 (and beer of show). It is not an APA, not enough hops and too much malt. For some time there was a loophole in the entry for ANAWBS for english best bitter that allowed american hops, i think that has been closed down now.

Think of this beer as more english in style, a nice balance between the malt and hops, easy drinking, but in reality it is stuck in no mans land in between english bitter and APA and if you enter it into a BJCP comp there is no category it will do well in. I don't label it and you are not required to adhere to BJCP guidelines unless entering your beer in a comp.” – drsmurto

40. 12/07/14 – “[Hop Additions w/ No Chill] Kingy, just did one of these (small batch, BIAB no chill) and did a 60, 10, 0 minute hop schedule, 1/3 at each time, aiming for 34-35 IBU (using Brewmate with the no-chill box checked). Was a rye version, with a small amount of carabohemian instead of caramunich.” – pajs

41. Article written by drsmurto compiling his thoughts on DSGA. Post #921 http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11013

42. 05/11/15 – “Wy1272 is my go to yeast but for something slightly different i sometimes use wy1187 Ringwood and even wy1469 West Yorkshire.” – drsmurto

43. 26/02/16 – “My flameout hops are added 5 minutes after flameout (to allow the turbulence in the boiling wort to settle) during the manual whirlpool (me, a mash paddle and some elbow grease). Walk away for 10 mins and then chill (or no chill) as per your normal method. You won't add any IBU regardless of your method.

Unless you are adding several grams per litre of a high AA% hop, no chill does not increase IBU to a level in which you could taste it.” – drsmurto

44. 21/07/16 – “[No Caramunich I in stock] Any light/medium crystal will be fine. Carabohemian is my personal favourite.” – drsmurto

45. 13/10/16 – “[Concerning naming conventions] That's because each time i brewed a variation it retained the name. I brewed it. It was golden and an ale. Don't overthink it.” – drsmurto

Back