RecipeDB - Doc's Bavarian Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently have this brew fermenting with Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638 and can't believe how good it is... there is a very real chance that my over testing/tasting will lead to a whole lot of litres not making it into bottles the way I'm going.

Fermenting the brew at 18 degrees and loving the hint of banana that has developed; only thing that was unexpected was just how agressive this yeast is (my airlock is constantly full of beer and I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning up the overflow).

Thanks for the recipe Doc; reckon it could be a regular.

Thinking about brewing this one and was wondering what temperature would be good to get some descent banana from WB06 without being over the top?

I have used WB06 in the past and was a little tart at 18 I thought.

Thinking about brewing this one and was wondering what temperature would be good to get some descent banana from WB06 without being over the top?

I have used WB06 in the past and was a little tart at 18 I thought.

I did it at 19 with WB06 and although excellent, sweetened up alot after 2 - 3 weeks. :beerbang:

have one of these in the fermenter at the moment using 3638 and will "+1" the ferocity with which the yeast works.

was wondering with this one... how young is young enough?

It's been around 10 days in primary and I'm pretty sure it's reached FG (sitting at 1012 for 2 days). What would you suggest for a suitable timeframe for bottling and conditioning/drinking?

I was planning on waiting til the weekend to bottle but might do it tomorrow evening. I normally leave in the bottle for 2 weeks then get stuck in (I'm impatient and really useless at waiting for beers to age much)

Should I leave it longer before chilling, and any suggestions on how long to condition and then chill before drinking?

I usually condition in the bottle for two weeks minimum, then chill oen or two for a day before I drink it. if it tastes ok I chill the rest.

thoughts?

EDIT - so read the "primary 9 days condition 1 week" in the recipe. any advance on that? would I gain anything by leaving it a little longer conditioning?

Gidday Doc

Highly rate this recipe....did one recently with Wyeast 3056, and cos I already had another going in my fermentation fridge, this one brewed out a little warmer than intended (about 22C) and the yeast was ferocious, through the airlock a number of times...didn't hold much hope of a good brew, but got to say it is awesome....got some nice banana which is dying off reasonably quickly but still tastes beautiful and easy to drink. A hit with friends who don't like the hoppy beers.
Cheers

Molly

Considering doing this recipe. Sorry if this is a dumb question but my LHB has JW Wheat(Raw) - Unmalted. Is this the same or different to what the recipe asks for? If it is different - what would be a viable replacement?

Chris

I'd be surprised if Joe White distribute unmalted wheat. This is the stuff you make bread from. It has limited use in beer making, used in some belgian wits. You definitely need malted wheat for a hefe & if it's made by JW, I'd bet that's what it is.

Threw this recipe down last sunday, OG 1.051 and checked gravity today at 1.012 after only 6 days. Agree with all the comments about WB-06 being aggressive, foamed up like crazy and the krausen is stilll thick as hell. In fact when i took a hydrometer sample i thought i put my wine thief in far/deep enough only to suck up a bunch of krausen instead of beer haha! Sample tastes pretty friggen good though, especially since i buggered the hops up and added more the following day. Overall, this recipe is super simple but tastes damn good.

I suspect that given the fast rate in which it has fermented and the gravity sample, it will be 'finished' over the next day or so but how long do you recommend leaving in the fermenter for? I'd like to rack to secondary asap so i can fit in my next batch (doing it this sunday) but don't know if its worthwhile racking to secondary or just bottling it?

cheers,
Josh

Every brew i've done with WB-06 has completely fermented out within 7 days, and I don't bother with a secondary for my weizen beers....I like to rotate the bottles to put the yeast back into suspension before pouring anyway. Straight into the bottles from the primary, and I often use carb drops 'coz I like 'em well carbonated to stay true to style. Ready to drink within 5-7 days. I just tried my latest WB-06 dunkel today after 4 days in the bottle and it's 90% carbonated I reckon.

I suspect that given the fast rate in which it has fermented and the gravity sample, it will be 'finished' over the next day or so but how long do you recommend leaving in the fermenter for? I'd like to rack to secondary asap so i can fit in my next batch (doing it this sunday) but don't know if its worthwhile racking to secondary or just bottling it?
There is no need for a secondary but a word of warning. WB06 will pull a 1.055+ down to 1.009 or less so you will want to avoid bottling prematurely. Even at cool temps <16C WB06 always gets the job done in 7 days at most.

Hi all

Was thinking of putting this down tonight but am worried that with forecast temps of 37-38 degrees over the next few days, I'm going to be in trouble with the ferment. I don't have an STC hooked up to my fridge yet (it's still in the box!). I figure with the fridge off and door kept closed, I can keep the temp at 20-21 (?) but not at the 18 that seems to be optimal for this brew. Should I just wait for some cooler weather....or until I get the STC up and happening?

Cheers,
Chris

Which yeast Chris? Keep in mind that weizen yeasts can actually benefit from higher ferment temps...my last wb-06 brew was deliberately fermented at 23.5, and I'm stoked with the resultant banana flavours/aromas. I wouldn't worry at all about fermenting a good weizen yeast at 20-21.

carniebrew said:
Which yeast Chris? Keep in mind that weizen yeasts can actually benefit from higher ferment temps...my last wb-06 brew was deliberately fermented at 23.5, and I'm stoked with the resultant banana flavours/aromas. I wouldn't worry at all about fermenting a good weizen yeast at 20-21.
Danstar Munich Yeast.....

Hanzie said:
Great beer Doc

I used wb-06 brewed at 20c. The flavour was banana/bubblegum but is fading quick. Its very blond slightly cloudy with a big compact head. Carbed to 2.7 volumes seems right for me. I agree drink it young. Ze germans are coming!

Hanzie
Re: WB-06 & "banana/bubblegum". Ahh, I no longer have to pay extra for a 'proven' liquid like WLP380. Rippa!

Think I will give this a go for my second AG.
Just a couple of questions, not sure if Doc is still around but Im sure someone can help.'

Efficiency is 65% -is this due to a higher mash temp or just the system Doc uses? I got 73% on my last pale ale at 65C- should I alter this or expect the same with this recipe?

How long is the mash? 90 min or less?

26.4 IBUs sounds a bit high for a wiezen. Does it just work better with a higher FG beer or could I afford to reduce this a bit to say 20IBUs?

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back