RecipeDB - Corona

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score

Corona

Lager - American Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Glacier provides a good subtle lemon flavour to the brew along with a few other qualities. Finishing hops added to the hot wort in the jerry after forgetting to add at flameout. Wort boiled down to 17L and diluted to 27L. Mashed at 65-66. Fermented at 10°C. FG 1.008

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.25 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.6 kg TF Flaked Maize
0.15 kg Weyermann Acidulated

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Glacier (Pellet, 5.6AA%, 0mins)
15 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

300 ml Wyeast Labs 2308 - Munich Lager
27L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.043 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 19.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.15%
  • Colour 6 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Did anyone brew this? Was thinking about doing this for some of the Corona fans at work, just to see if they would like drinking a HB version.

You should investigate Bribie Gs posts using polenta, maize etc as an adjunct, cereal mashes etc. He went thru a phase of this style brew a bit back IIRC.

Craftbrewer also suggest that Galena is the hop of Corona, it would prob be easier (and cheaper) to obtain than simcoe. I reckon Us-05 fermented low (~15C) would do a decent job of it too.

Try: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=37502

Thanks for that link, I'd forgotten about that photo B)

solly_cerveza.JPG

You can make a good fist of Corona with (for 25L brew) 4k of pale malt, preferably a lager malt and a kilo of polenta boiled to a thin mush and chucked into the mash to achieve mash temperature. Only one hop addition required to get about 18 IBU. Galena is good, I had success with a bit of Chinook .

Yeast, US-05 or Wy 1056 fermented at around 17

Cheers guys, a few options there for me.

However being megaswill drinkers they probably wouldnt appreciate anything fancy. :D

In all honesty Truman, the Coopers Cerveza kit with 1kg LDM and 500gm Dex makes a very good copy.

Bottled in Corona bottles, a lemon wedge in the glass, your mates wouldnt know the difference.

Bribie, how do you get US05 so clear and bright?

I can get it okay clearish, but I would assume that giving it to Corona drinkers, you'd want it to be bright - as they are pretty big on presentation (even the lemon wedge has to be inserted in the right way).

Goomba

Do you CC at all LRG?

I find that helps clear my brews up quiiiite a bit.

That and brewbrite have been improving clarity nicely

Sponge

LRG - american ale II, 1272, clears real well, i bought one liquid pack at least six months ago and still brewing with slurries, split vials etc. Love the stuff. I imagine Bribie would have - CC'd, gelatined, and polyclared. More recently he would have brewbrite'd as well.

Truman - i would go Bribie's recipe it you can be bothered all graining it

US-05 can be a bugger but I find that if you CC it in a jerry for about a week at near freezing and gelatine it, then it eventually waves the white flag :p
Chill haze is another thing and I BrewBright in the kettle but don't use Polyclar later (but may do for some comp beers this year just as an insurance policy)

Here's an American Wheat made on plain old US-05 straight out of the keg (will quaff later) treated as described above. The Corona attempt in the photo was almost clear
on bottling, according to the Yeast book beer can look crystal clear but still have N million yeast cells per ml - I've never had problems with bottle carbing.

wheat_clear__Medium_.jpg

US-05 can be a bugger but I find that if you CC it in a jerry for about a week at near freezing and gelatine it, then it eventually waves the white flag :p
Chill haze is another thing and I BrewBright in the kettle but don't use Polyclar later (but may do for some comp beers this year just as an insurance policy)

Here's an American Wheat made on plain old US-05 straight out of the keg (will quaff later) treated as described above. The Corona attempt in the photo was almost clear
on bottling, according to the Yeast book beer can look crystal clear but still have N million yeast cells per ml - I've never had problems with bottle carbing.

View attachment 53795

So in my case, it is protein haze (because I don't brewbrite in the kettle/polyclar at the end), and not enough time CC and gelatin (I'm building stocks, so 2-3 days max CCing for me).

I've got an Irish Red (with NZ hops) in the FV at the moment - it's my insurance policy, because my Belgian Pale for Poker night in 2 weeks' time was a little too tasty, and when I "tested the carbonation and mouthfeel", I kind of tested it a little more than I'd anticipated, so just want to make sure I have almost 2 full kegs ready and they present well.

Sorry to OP for going OT.

Goomba

:icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic:
Same method really applies to any beer you want to present nicely - especially with an Irish Red where you "drink with your eyes"

Not to late to grab some Polyclar and use it in your I.R. - this current one was BrewBrighted but same principle:

irish_red_babbs__Large_.jpg

This is a Galaxy/Citra APA made with a high gravity boil (1.070) from a dust-fine crushed mash that lead to a very cloudy wort that was kettle-fined with a 1/2 teaspoon of Koppafloc. US05 @ 18C.

IMG_2964.jpg

However, I put two teaspoons of Wards gelatin in a cup of cold tap water for 10 minutes to bloom, then slowly brought it to 70C for a minute and poured it in (at 18C) for 48 hours.

I was tempted to drink the sample for this photo just now, but the sun's nowhere near the yard arm... :lol:

EDIT: I neglected to mention though that it was no-chilled - so the hot and cold break were not added to the fermenter, just crystal-clear wort.

My cold break goes right in, however I always BrewBright just in case Palmer is, maybe, correct about cold break and chill haze :p
In the case of Truman and Corona I'd definitely take anti chill haze precautions as his punters will be expecting the stuff to be served at sub-glacial temperatures.

frozen_lips.jpg

Latest posts

Back