Recipedb - Coopers Dark Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score

Coopers Dark Ale Clone

Ale - Brown Porter
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Download the BeerSmith file from the recipe discussion for more accurate details

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.2 kg BB Ale Malt
0.2 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.15 kg Bairds Light Chocolate Malt
0.15 kg Weyermann Carafa Special III
0.2 kg Cane Sugar

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Coopers - Cooper Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.044 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 31.3 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 4.28%
  • Colour 56 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

View attachment CDA.bsm

IMG_0104__640x480_.JPG

View attachment darkale.txt

cheers mate.

Will be making this one this month.

Then probably one more use of the yeast for a stout.

Looks good. Can't believe I missed this recipe in here before.

I was curious on how you mashed this so I opened up the .bsm file in a hex editor (I don't have Beersmith and my software doesn't import it). I found what I think is the mashing schedule. Is this the mash process:

Mash in 5m 35C
Heat (direct?) to 52C 10mins
15 min Protein rest @ 52C
Heat to 63C 10mins
60min Sacch rest @63C

I don't direct heat my mash tun (errrrr Esky) so I'd probably change it up anyway but it would be good to know what you did.

Would be nice to make in Spring and store for next Autumn I think.

Looks good. Can't believe I missed this recipe in here before.

I was curious on how you mashed this so I opened up the .bsm file in a hex editor (I don't have Beersmith and my software doesn't import it). I found what I think is the mashing schedule. Is this the mash process:

Mash in 5m 35C
Heat (direct?) to 52C 10mins
15 min Protein rest @ 52C
Heat to 63C 10mins
60min Sacch rest @63C

I don't direct heat my mash tun (errrrr Esky) so I'd probably change it up anyway but it would be good to know what you did.

Would be nice to make in Spring and store for next Autumn I think.

Yep, that's pretty much it, with a couple more steps.
I've added a text file to the original post at the start of the thread to make it easier for non beerSmith users to view the recipe. Hope that gives you a bit more detail.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew! Much appreciated.

I'm going to make this one on the weekend but somehow I don't think it's going to last that long around my place.

Hey,

Can someone help me convert this to a Kits & Bits or an extract recipe.

Cheers

Robbo

G'day Andrew

I've been eyeing off this recipe for a while cos Coopers Dark is one of my favorites.

I ended up making this as a partial. 2kg ale + dark malts + 1.5 kg tin of coopers liquid wheat malt.

Wow how good is this. Hope the photo works.

cda.jpg

Many Thanks

MOM

Yep, very nice this one. I did it AG and loved the result, even though I'm not a real big fan of dark beers.

IMO it's best to age this one for about 2-3 months to allow the black/roast malts to mellow - any earlier and I found the roasty/burnt/coffee flavour a bit full-on for my liking. I haven't noticed any change or improvement in ageing past about the 3 month mark.

I'll probably do another batch in Autumn for winter drinking.

Well how about that, even the mayor of Mildura approves of this beer :D I will be making this one next... Is there a difference in yeasts from CDA to CPA & CSA?

G'day Andrew

I've been eyeing off this recipe for a while cos Coopers Dark is one of my favorites.

I ended up making this as a partial. 2kg ale + dark malts + 1.5 kg tin of coopers liquid wheat malt.

Wow how good is this. Hope the photo works.

View attachment 33175

Many Thanks

MOM

Nice Pic your Honor, glad you liked the beer and I'm glad you managed a good conversion to partial, not always an easy thing to do.

Well how about that, even the mayor Mildura approves of this beer :D I will be making this one next... Is there a difference in yeasts from CDA to CPA & CSA?

Same yeast, but I'd keep the fermentation temp down to 16 for the CDA to keep the esters restrained.

Brando is right it does improve up to 3 mths, but it never really lasts longer than that and I have an empty keg.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back