RecipeDB - Choc Choc Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oatmeal gives it the silky smoothness.

OT slightly, but my next go at this beer will to be also add 300g or so of choc malt steeped and boiled on day2 of ferment and see if that ups the choc flavour. Will also probably drop the lactose. But this is/was a seriously nice brew!

Brad

Sorry bud, after a few beers........ What do you substitute the oatmeal for??

Rolled Oats .......... the stuff you make porridge with. Unless of course its a scottish Stout cause thats nor how yee make pourich

Are the flaked oats mashed in with the grains? Also, are adjuncts chocolate, syrup, cocoa and lactose? I've got everything ready to go, just wanted to double check. Also, would this be mashed in at 66 for an hour?

I Made this recipe a couple of months ago and I have to say it is the best AG beer I have brewed of about 15 brews thus far. The only difference I made was to add 100g of black malt. The colour actually came out brown rather than a deep black from all the chocolate. All of the people I have given it too have said it is fantastic. The only thing that puzzled me is that it seemed stubbord to settle out in the bottles. Even after a couple of months I had to leave the bottles in the fridge at near freezing and I could see a whole heap of 'gunk' that I presume was not yeast settling out. Perhaps something from using half a block of old gold chocolate like vegetable fat or something?? Regardless of that it was a great recipe that I am going to brew again!

Back