RecipeDB - Choc Choc Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score

Choc Choc Stout

Stout - Sweet Stout
All Grain
* * * * * 4 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This recipe was adapted from BYO 150 Clone Recipes. Received great feedback.

Gypsum = PH5.2 Stabiliser (Mash Tun)
Unsweetened Bakers Choc = 1x Block of 70% Cocoa Lindt Chocolate
0.25kg Cane Sugar = Lyles Golden Syrup
Flaked Oats = Rolled Oats
Adjuncts added at 15min Boil addition

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.74 kg BB Ale Malt
0.36 kg Bairds Dark Crystal
0.35 kg Bairds Light Chocolate Malt
0.25 kg Flaked Oats
0.39 kg Milk Sugar
0.25 kg Cane Sugar
0.13 kg Cane Sugar

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
52 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
18 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

7 g DCL Yeast S-04 - SafAle English Ale

Misc

195 g Unsweetened cocoa
100 g Unsweetened baker's chocolate
1.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Gypsum
0.5 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.063 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 28.3 IBU
  • Efficiency 82%
  • Alcohol 5.98%
  • Colour 70 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Choc Choc Stout
Looks Tasty Sully,

That'd be a dark ale at my place...but if your going for youngs, you probably don't need Roasted Barley.

Did you put any chocolate or cocoa in secondary ?

PB

Edit - sorry you were editing the recipe and answered me. :lol:

Looks Tasty Sully,

That'd be a dark ale at my place...but if your going for youngs, you probably don't need Roasted Barley.

Did you put any chocolate or cocoa in secondary ?

PB

Edit - sorry you were editing the recipe and answered me. :lol:

Will bring a sample to BABBS this month. I gassed it on nitrogen/Co2 Blend, velvety smooth.

Cheers

G'day Sully, Im planning on making one of these very soon. The wife loved it!! Just curious, did you find the dark choc stuck to the bottom of your kettle at all? and is the dark choc a sub for the choc extract? Did you attempt to source choc extract from anywhere?

G'day Sully, Im planning on making one of these very soon. The wife loved it!! Just curious, did you find the dark choc stuck to the bottom of your kettle at all? and is the dark choc a sub for the choc extract? Did you attempt to source choc extract from anywhere?

The dark chocolate is a substitute for the Extract. Add it to your hopsock and it should dissolve into the brew without sticking to the bottom of the kettle.. Next time I would try the 85% Cocoa Lindt Chocolate also. I did try a few places to source Extract but didnt have any success.

Cheers

Sully

The dark chocolate is a substitute for the Extract. Add it to your hopsock and it should dissolve into the brew without sticking to the bottom of the kettle.. Next time I would try the 85% Cocoa Lindt Chocolate also. I did try a few places to source Extract but didnt have any success.

Cheers

Sully

Sully

Apito Chocolate Paste should be good, from bakery suppliers Bakels Australia, many many moons ago they used to be located in Grey St., Brisbane.

How was your attenuation using milk sugar (lactose), at 390g of non fermentable sugar, did it finish very high??

Screwy

Sully

Apito Chocolate Paste should be good, from bakery suppliers Bakels Australia, many many moons ago they used to be located in Grey St., Brisbane.

How was your attenuation using milk sugar (lactose), at 390g of non fermentable sugar, did it finish very high??

Screwy

1018 IIRC... wrote it down but lost the paper :rolleyes:

Will keep an eye out for the Baker supplies, thanks for the headsup Screwy.

:icon_cheers:

Love this one Sully! Was certainly bewtiful from the tap a few weeks ago. FIL tried a bottle of Bradsbrews version so I have now been ordered to make him a batch ASAP. Lucky I hate brewing huh? :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing this one (saves me begging for it!)

Chappo

OK. Stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway... Does this beer taste more like chocolate than beer? Reason for the question is that SWMBO likes chocolate but isn't a big fan of beer, although doesn't mind a glass or two of red wine. My challenge is to find a beer that either tastes more like chocolate than beer or more like red wine than beer...

sap.

Sully absolutely top recipe this one. Mate just tried a glass outa the mini keg and well I am now onto another. Mine went from 1068 to 1017 and had that little alcohol warm taste. Next time I might add a touch of roast barley just bring up the stout part. But yours is a seriously tasty beer mate. Cheers for the beer. Might even have some of the brew made Saturday night in your keg when you pick it up :icon_chickcheers: .

Brad.

Chap Chap I feel a stout challenge coming on. What ya think big Fella. :icon_drool2: better than mine ffffttt :p

I buy lactose from homebrew shops. I've never seen it in a supermarket but to be fair I've never looked. It should be refrigerated though.

what are the figures for adding unsweetened cocoa and unsweetened bakers chocolate into the ingredients of beersmith?
i dont have them and cant find them on the site.
pretty keen to try make one of these, had one a while ago

Thanks,

Stewart

thanks mate, much appreciated.

:icon_cheers:

stew

Loved this one Sully,
Organize now for winter armchair soother.
I might try with a replacement of the choc malt with Choc Chit to try to reduce the bite a little and maybe up the lactose and reduce the sugar.
I'de like to make it as silky as pos . Any suggestions anyone?

Oh!, supplier out of lactose ATM. Alteratives ? Heath food store? :p
Daz

OK. Stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway... Does this beer taste more like chocolate than beer? Reason for the question is that SWMBO likes chocolate but isn't a big fan of beer, although doesn't mind a glass or two of red wine. My challenge is to find a beer that either tastes more like chocolate than beer or more like red wine than beer...

sap.
If it helps GMK has done a choc stout in the past with chocolate essence which tasted like drinking chocolate topping, i reckon if you added it with a far whack of lactose. I reckon it would be like liquid chocolate....just a thought

Back