RecipeDB - Bloody nice JS pilsner clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axl

Reaction score

Bloody nice JS pilsner clone

Pilsner - German Pilsner
All Grain
* * * * * 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Probably my first really successful pilsner. I used the 'Brew Cellar European lager' dried yeast because of it's very clean and fast fermentation. Got down to FG 1.010 after 7 days in the fridge @ 12 deg.
Diacetyl rest for a couple of days towards the end of fermentation (aprox 1.015). Then bottle or keg. For kegging chuck it in the fridge @ 0-2 deg over night to chill then filter & force carbonate, drink or, if not filtering just force carb and lager for a couple of weeks then drink.
For bottlers leave @ room temp for a week then lager in fridge for a couple of weeks b4 drinking.
Virtually no sulphur production so can drink straight away if you filter & keg, otherwise lager for a few weeks in the bottle or keg.
Based on the James Squire Pilsner so not quite a bohemian or a german but very good indeed.
Final gravity 1.010. Alc 5.8% A/Vol
Mash= single infusion @ 65 deg

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.5 kg JWM Light Munich
0.3 kg Weyermann Melanoidin

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Northern Brewer (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
25 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 15mins)
25 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 5mins)
15 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

15 g DCL Yeast S-23 - SafLager West European Lager
25L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.055 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 40.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.2%
  • Colour 13 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Hey mate gave this one a go a few weeks ago.
Followed recipe down to a dot.

Tried it today after 2 weeks in fridge in keg (filtered). It is really bitter. And i mean bitter.

Did this happen with yours?

Am thinking of brewing a pure malt beer with lots of body and then splitting my keg into two (mixed half and half with malty beer) to balance out the taste.

A german pils is meant to be very dry and quite bitter. I love the style but it can be confronting for those who aren't used to it.

It will mellow in time, give it another couple of weeks before you do anything rash with it.

Cheers. We have done mostly pale ales so far with low bitterness and as you say may just be the confronting difference.
I think I will try blend in a few weeks if same.

Have a thread on this in the Beginners AG forum now.

I didn't actually start this forum <_< , But I am interested to hear any reviews

Marlow,

Did you hit the target gravity? If you had 1.055 or so it should have been fairly balanced. Problem with aiming at ~39 IBUs is that if you miss your gravity and end up with something like 1.048 you get the double whammy of a jump in IBUs too - so you end up with a pretty harsh BU:GU ratio and a very bitter tasting beer. Although the 0.3kg of melanoidin seems like a lot, and should help to offset the bitterness!

Axl , can you tell me did you Mash in with 15.13 L 77.6c hold mash @70.0c for 45 mins
Mash out ;add 6.05l of water @ 91.7c hold mash at 75.6c for 10 mins or can you tell me what you did ? thanks Phil

Phil, even if axl did that, those temperature figures will only work for his system. You'll need to work out exactly what temperature water works for your system. If you have any brewing software, it should give you a starting place and you can work from there.

That said, a 70C mash does seem far too high for a pilsner though. I'd say something more like 65C would be more appropriate for this kind of beer.

(Actually, just looked at his recipe and he recommends mashing at 65C. Where did you get those figures from, Phil?)

Mate I put the recipe thru beersmith but it did'nt seem right that's why i was checking

I didn't actually start this forum <_< , But I am interested to hear any reviews

Hi Axl,

I believe, entering a recipe in the database automatically starts a discussion thread ;)

cheers Ross

I am dreaming :rolleyes:
but I would love to push this kind of recipe with more munich, a brief protein rest, decoction to balance the bitterness and to give a nice colour. :)

(The gravity drop was incredible quick. 1.010 in 7 day at 12 degrees.)

Any thoughts?

Hey mate gave this one a go a few weeks ago.
Followed recipe down to a dot.

Tried it today after 2 weeks in fridge in keg (filtered). It is really bitter. And i mean bitter.

Did this happen with yours?

Am thinking of brewing a pure malt beer with lots of body and then splitting my keg into two (mixed half and half with malty beer) to balance out the taste.

Hi Marlow_coates,
When you did your hop additions did you consider the AA% of the hops that axle used?
If you added the quantities as his recipe states without comparing the AA%'s then your bitterness may be way out.
Cheers

:icon_chickcheers: Hi everyone ,yer I brewed it like I mentioned in last reply with Beersmith came out wonderful thank's for the recipe :party:

My next 40l batch of this one is almost ready for the kegs mmmmmmmmmmmm.

It does come up quite bitter initially but with some cold conditioning in the keg it really comes good. I like the bitternes but the cold conditioning just takes a bit of the harshness out and gives a nice tasty crisp beer.

5 stars from me.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back