RecipeDB - American Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score

American Wheat

Wheat - American Wheat
Extract
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Boil size 8.5L

400g Light DME in boil
2kg Wheat DME added 1min prior to flame-out

0 minute Hops added after day 6 primary

Yeast WB-06 - starter made with 100g LDME / 1L volume

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2 kg Briess DME- Weizen
0.4 kg Generic DME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
12 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
12 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
6 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 30mins)
6 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 25mins)
6 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 20mins)
6 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)
6 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
6 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

11 g DCL Yeast WB-06 - German Wheat
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.046 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 13.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.15%
  • Colour 12 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

First attempt at a wheat beer - something nice for January I hope.

What do you reckon?

WB 06 will give the wrong phenolic profile for an American wheat imo. If you can get wyeast 1010 or even use s05 if you have to.

Added dry-hop additions to his today - it smells and tastes amazing already. Very much like Hoegaarden Wheat, I'm really looking forward to drinking this in January!

3 days dry hops, then move to secondary for a 48hr chill in the fridge and bottle it up.

Edit - as you said, not American at all either! But still very happy with it.

WB 06 will give the wrong phenolic profile for an American wheat imo. If you can get wyeast 1010 or even use s05 if you have to.
+1 for the yeast selection. Even k-97 may give a better profile. I use W1056 for these and they are so drinkable.

You will find this beer evaporating, or so it seems. You should should start another batch before you even tart drinking this one, and don't share too much or your mates will end up wanting most of it.

Nice idea, extract Am wheat. Makes me want to buy another 25 kg box of Muntons wheat DME. Too easy!

You will find this beer evaporating, or so it seems. You should should start another batch before you even tart drinking this one, and don't share too much or your mates will end up wanting most of it.

Good advice - putting another one down on Monday, but thinking of dropping the dry hops. Could well become the house beer, at least for summer.

I have my first batch almost ready to keg.

2.5% each of biscuit and cara hell.

the rest a mix of BB pale and JW wheat. Some late cascade ( not heaps though ) and US05. Bloody easy drinking from the sample!!. A great quaffer i think, and easier than stuffing around with "aussie" adjunct lagers. Think i'll do a few more!!!.

Cooking up another batch of this today, dropping the dry-hops but increased the 10 and 5 minute additions by a whopping 2g each...!!

There's something poetic about spending the mid-week morning at home making beer.

Back