RecipeDB - 65Bellett's Squirrelfoot Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score

65Bellett's Squirrelfoot Bitter

Bitter - English Ordinary Bitter
Extract
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

I steeped the grains @ 67 degrees for 30 minutes and sparged in a sieve with 500 ml of boiling water straight out of the kitchen kettle.

I then added the grain wort to 12 litres of hot water and added the cans of LME.

Once I achieved a boil (it is a bit difficult on the stove top) I added the hop additions. I am always very liberal when measuring the POR as I am a big fan.

Once the boil is finished I put the lid on the kettle and let it sit for 10 minutes while I organise my plastic tub and a bag of Ice to cool the hot wort down. Once the hot wort hits about 40 degrees I then tipped it into the fermenter and topped it up to 23 litres.

Pitched one packet of Safale yeast and brewed between 16 and 24 degrees.

Carbed with 2 coopers Coopers carb drops. I

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.3 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.1 kg JWM Dark Crystal
1.5 kg Coopers LME - Amber
1.5 kg Coopers LME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
25 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)
20 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast S-04 - SafAle English Ale
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 31.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 90%
  • Alcohol 4.67%
  • Colour 27 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 12 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Thius is 65 Bellet's 2007 Vic Xmas Caseswap. Great little extract receipe for a London style ordinary bitter. Damn refreshing in for summer. Shouldnt offend any megaswill VB drinkers either.

I'm posting up the recipe because im making this one tomorrow.

EDIT: ok recipe is updated. having a few issues with double posting recipes.

Yes. Good one.

I remember this beer, and being floored by awesome an extract beer could be. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes an English bitter.

Looks quite tasty, i may have a crack at this some time soon.

Would 2 carb drops be a little on the fizzy side for the style?

personal preferance. i recon 2 is ok.

I'm going to make a version of this using a can of Munton's English Bitter from the connoisseur range that I bought accidentally (cost me over $20!). So I plugged this into our home-made brew spreadsheet:
  • 1.8kg can of LME
  • 1.2kg Light DME
  • 300g crystal malt
  • 100g choc malt
... and I get only OG = 1046. I guess liquid extract has less gravity points than dried, and I haven't accounted for it here. Should I be adjusting the DME upwards a bit? Maybe 1.4--1.5kg?

Second... I only have EKG hops, and was planning on using 20g at 10 mins, and another 20g at 0 mins (dry hop maybe in the fermenter). How does that sound? I've never use EKG before. I won't worry about any further bittering hops, as I'm sure the can is already hopped.

TIA!

Well, I went ahead and made this as above, and left it as a 1046 OG. I tasted a bit out of the hydrometer tonight and it tastes a bit astringent, and is very dark. I screwed up the steeping temp, which got up to 80C, so perhaps got some of the tannins out? The canned syrup was pretty dark already, so perhaps too much extra choc and crystal as well.
The EKG smell and taste delicious already though :)
Ben

Back