Recipe With Short Fermentation Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hey all
Time has got away from me and I've left my run kinda late to get a second batch of beer done to take away with me before I go away for Xmas. It won't be until next weekend that I'll have a chance for a brew day and then two weekends after that I'll be hitching the van on and heading off for Xmas.

Sooooo - can anyone recommend a decent recipe with a short fermentation time? One weeke primary and one week secondary would see me bottling the weekend I leave which whilst doable, it's not preferable. I'll be on holidays a few days before that so could do 10-12 days fermentation. I'd been thinking of doing a Nelson Sauvin summer ale (2 weeks fermentation) and I also notice the Citra cubed hopped ale is only 1 week fermenting.....

I know either way that this leaves very little time for conditioning but this is a second option beer as I have a DSGA which will be about 6 weeks in the bottle by then. It would mean a few newly capped bottles bouncing around in the vans fridge for a few hundred Kms though......

Ideas......

Chris

Why dont you try a Wheat beer ferment it warm 24-25'c it will be done in a week
Or buy some kegs

I have done many wheat beers within 7days, they are so great fresh.
I don't have to ferment them to warm 20/22 will see them done fast, as long as its not anything over 5.5-6%.
Just pitch healthy yeast and the correct amount!

Any ale below about 1070SG should be at FG inside 4 days with the proper pitch of yeast and the correct oxygenation, even at 18c. 2 weeks is plenty even if you're not in a rush.
Secondary is a waste of time unless you have a specific reason for it, like dry hopping.

Any ale below about 1070SG should be at FG inside 4 days with the proper pitch of yeast and the correct oxygenation, even at 18c. 2 weeks is plenty even if you're not in a rush

Spot on. I regularly get pale ales and american wheats from grain to brain in 7 days.

5 days fermentation, crash for 2 days, keg, gelatine and force carb FTW!

Sounds like a good excuse to get into kegging ;)

Fast 5 day ferment, 2 day crash chill, fast carb. Drink or bottle and drink in a week. Will improve in the keg.

Sounds like a good excuse to get into kegging ;)

Fast 5 day ferment, 2 day crash chill, fast carb. Drink or bottle and drink in a week. Will improve in the keg.

Not gonna happen fellas......just don't have the $$$$ to invest in kegging. Plus, need to build up my knowledge and experience a bit more before I invest more $$$$.

If you can get some Wyeast Irish Ale 1084, it will run nicely at 22 and should be done and dusted in 4 days. It's good for pale ales and not just for stout.

Chuck in a low abv saison. Done and dusted within a week. That yeast is mad (any of the saison yeasts)

Hefeweizen/Wheat beer is the obvious choice. Many other styles, especially lower gravity ales will be good to go in about a week, but I find the conditioning period helps to drop some of the trub matter which gives a cleaner perception of the bitterness. For me, hefe's are just about perfect after a week. As soon as it's carbonated it's drinking as well as it ever will.

Is the secondary neccessary?? why not just an extended primary??

Back