Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
i've been looking for a recipe that utilizes ek goldings hops, i have not been brave enough to give them a go as my palate swings toward apa's.
tried a recipe with willamette and found it to not be very smooth at all, have 1/2 a kilo in the fridge to give away (pickup only),
dr smurtos recipes have been awesome so far but now i want to try an english bitter/ale with more traditional hops such as ekg,
i have pearle ale malt and pilsner malt as base malts, caramalt carabelge, crystal, carabohemian, munich, caramunich, carared, carahell,
wheat, , carafar t1&2 , vienna,.
all help / critisism appreciated :D .

I made a willamette recipe with Perle, plus a bit of crystal. Wills at 45 minutes.

Not sure why it isn't smooth for you.

Another recipe I did was 30 min bittering with Perle and Nelson Sauvin at 10 mins, similar grain bill.

For an EKG based one - I would be leaning toward Perle Ale Malt, Crystal, carafa 2 for some colour adjustment.

EKG at 1 hr, that's it.

I swing toward APA normally, but I've found this is the best british bitter I can make.

Goomba

I made a willamette recipe with Perle, plus a bit of crystal. Wills at 45 minutes.

Not sure why it isn't smooth for you.

Another recipe I did was 30 min bittering with Perle and Nelson Sauvin at 10 mins, similar grain bill.

For an EKG based one - I would be leaning toward Perle Ale Malt, Crystal, carafa 2 for some colour adjustment.

EKG at 1 hr, that's it.

I swing toward APA normally, but I've found this is the best british bitter I can make.

Goomba
i was convinced it was infected but my mate insisted it was ok but strong tasting quote"not one of your best" unquote.
to me it was like an over brewed cup of tea.
i keep staring at this pack of ekg hops in the freezer and keep saying maybe next time...
the willamette hops were from the us so not sure if the journey buggered the quality being unrefrigerated but i will say the cluster hops were very disappointing compared to ausiie bought ones.
so any suggestions for a 23lt batch?

IIRC (I think the recipe is on my work computer):

for 25L (I get 5kg - it's cheaper, though adjust):

5kg Perle Malt
.2kg Crystal Heritage
.1kg Cara-something for colour adjustment.

Willamette at 30min to 10 IBU, Nelson Sauvin to 20 IBU at 10 minutes.

Notto yeast.

Or, the more british one, was a single 1hour addition to 35 IBU to 5kg of BB Ale and .3kg BB Caramalt, mashed at 70 degrees, with windsor yeast (and a helluva patient wait after gelatin in secondary).

Worked out at about 3.5% and a fantastic fuller flavoured middy.

I'm finding that FWH is making my 60min additions waaay smoother.

My Willamette was US (Niko hops) and not a complaint about quality. Though I do reckon that I would never dry hop them. I did 5g with about 30g of Pacific Gem flowers, and the 5g was too much - a bit like a herbal sort of aroma, that took a few weeks to clear out. I reckon a late addition would do much the same. I wouldn't go any less than 30min - get the bitterness out, leave the flavour for nice flavoured hops.

Goomba

100% EKG landlord is a good beer... Done it once or twice when I didn't have any styrian.
97% GP
3% caraaroma
1469 at 19C

Good simple beer

A lovely bitter I've done

4kg Perle malt
300g medium crystal

90g (craftbrewer pack) of EKG. Roughly (depending on AA%) 40g 60 minutes, 50g 20 minutes.

Tasty brew.

Absolutely love ekg and I'll plus 1 argon although my grain bill Is a tad different. The only real difference I would suggest run 1469 at 22 deg, even 24 if your game. I love it at its top end.

bah

Pale english malt.
Biscuit or victory
Heritage crystal.

Forgotten percentages but you can work it out from: 5.5kg pale, 250g biscuit, 250g crystal.

Styrians and EKG in balanced amounts at 60, 20 and 0 to hit 35-40 IBU

thanks guys, gettin close but only have notto, us05 or s189 in fridge and no biscuit malt.
no nelson sav, but i do have some moteuka ?

A lovely bitter I've done

4kg Perle malt
300g medium crystal

90g (craftbrewer pack) of EKG. Roughly (depending on AA%) 40g 60 minutes, 50g 20 minutes.

Tasty brew.
sounds like a good start for me , what ibu did it work out at?

Pale english malt.
Biscuit or victory
Heritage crystal.

Forgotten percentages but you can work it out from: 5.5kg pale, 250g biscuit, 250g crystal.

Styrians and EKG in balanced amounts at 60, 20 and 0 to hit 35-40 IBU
could i sub the biscuit for caramalt and the heritage for light crystal?
bugger still no styrians, maybe all ekg?

Screwy has a recipe for LC Rogers, EKG for bittering and Cascade late.

Could be a good way to start looking at EKG, but still have Cascade for your comfort zone. Then later more to a more English style.

QldKev

Screwy has a recipe for LC Rogers, EKG for bittering and Cascade late.

Could be a good way to start looking at EKG, but still have Cascade for your comfort zone. Then later more to a more English style.

QldKev
my tastebuds must be stuffed, i get early galaxy and late cascade in rogers,
brewing one now, but hey i'm open to suggestions. very quick suggestions,..... like 8 mins before i throw the hops in :huh:

my tastebuds must be stuffed, i get early galaxy and late cascade in rogers,
brewing one now, but hey i'm open to suggestions. very quick suggestions,..... like 8 mins before i throw the hops in :huh:
Nah man go all EKG. Leave the cascade & galaxy for another time.
Good weather for english bitters!

Nah man go all EKG. Leave the cascade & galaxy for another time.
Good weather for english bitters!
too late,... timer told me to add the galaxy, will definately try next time

thanks guys, gettin close but only have notto, us05 or s189 in fridge and no biscuit malt.
no nelson sav, but i do have some moteuka ?

I brew with Nelson and Motueka more than any other hops. Always have them in my fridge.

Motueka has some very similar taste attributes as NS but at the same time its also quite different. I would say that any recipe you have for NS you could sub motueka for it and still produce a great beer, but they will be different.

Both have the florally spicey thing going on, but NS is far more on the winey end of the scale too. Very unique hops both of them.

Would love to help with advice on a uk bitter but ive never brewed one.

Out of those yeasts you do have, if you have no other options including visiting your lhbs, id go with us05. Notto might be too estery (although its REASONABLY neutral). Only used s189once in a carlton clone.......not sure thats what youd want.

I brew with Nelson and Motueka more than any other hops. Always have them in my fridge.

Motueka has some very similar taste attributes as NS but at the same time its also quite different. I would say that any recipe you have for NS you could sub motueka for it and still produce a great beer, but they will be different.

Both have the florally spicey thing going on, but NS is far more on the winey end of the scale too. Very unique hops both of them.

Would love to help with advice on a uk bitter but ive never brewed one.

Out of those yeasts you do have, if you have no other options including visiting your lhbs, id go with us05. Notto might be too estery (although its REASONABLY neutral). Only used s189once in a carlton clone.......not sure thats what youd want.
hi nath, i am now a huge fan of moteuka thanks to you.
just poured my first moteuka apa from the recipe you posted for me, simple but bloody tasty, you should post it in the recipe database, easy but big on taste. thanks again.

hi nath, i am now a huge fan of moteuka thanks to you.
just poured my first moteuka apa from the recipe you posted for me, simple but bloody tasty, you should post it in the recipe database, easy but big on taste. thanks again.

No probs mate, glad your enjoying it.

Its my house beer that one. Got three full kegs of it at the moment. The only problem is i keep having to add more hops each time i brew it as i love that hop. Cant get enough....

Not sure which recipe i posted, but the latest incarnation has 50g @ 30min, 65g @ 15min for a no chilled 20lt batch. Thinking about dry hopping it too...

Latest posts

Back