Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
After reading the topic "Time out from Drinking" i am chasing a recipe for a full flavoured low alcohol beer. This is going to be my way of drinking less.

I can still drink beer but take in less alcohol so its a win - win situation for the body and for me.

During winter I dont drink much but during summer its hard not to have a few schooners from the fridge after a day at work.

So if you've got a winner recipe post it up for me.

Cheers

Paul

Haven't made any low alcohol beer, but mashing higher and/or using a low-attenuating yeast (scottish and some english yeasts for example) may give the illusion of a fuller-strength beer whilst being easier on the alcohol.

Why don't you try ginger beer.

If you put 1kg dextrose with the morgans kit you get approx 3% alcohol and its tasty!

PB

If you do try the Ginger beer, you may want to try adding 1Kg of Raw Sugar as opposed to White Sugar or Dextrose.

If you do try the Ginger beer, you may want to try adding 1Kg of Raw Sugar as opposed to White Sugar or Dextrose.

And make sure you tell people it is alcoholic before they start adding it to their rum to make dark and stormies!!

It gets very messy. :icon_vomit:

PB

Haven't made any low alcohol beer, but mashing higher and/or using a low-attenuating yeast (scottish and some english yeasts for example) may give the illusion of a fuller-strength beer whilst being easier on the alcohol.

Not to be pedantic but this is a K&E forum. I don't think the post would be here is the poster is interested in mashing.
If you use a kit without the added kilo, you get low-alcohol beer, as simple as that. You don't need much more than about 3% alcohol for full flavour.

Some styles are naturally a lot less alcoholic. If you're happy making up your own recipes, do an English mild or an English Bitter. They are great-tasting styles with little alcohol.

Oops my bad! Similar(ish) rules apply then for kits/extracts.

Use only malt, adjuncts like sugar/dextrose thin out the beer which you definitely don't want if you're keeping the alc content low. If you're in the mood to steep specialty grains; carapils adds body without (much) flavour, crystal adds sweetness and both will not ferment to alcohol.

American-style beers aren't out of your reach either: Wayne at Beerbelly (here in Adelaide) has a good selection of quality, vacuum sealed hops that you can boil up and add to your brew for added flavour.

For example for a 15L batch:

1.5kg Light Liquid Malt Extract

Boiled with (with as much water as you can fit in your biggest pot and boil):
5g Nelson Sauvin flower for 20 minutes
10g " " " for 10 minutes
5g " " " for 1 minute.

Chill down to <20C, strain into fermenter, top up to 15L, ferment with something clean like US-05 and you'll have about OG1.030 for about a 3% beer!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back