Recipe Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
I got a smack pack of the Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley Ale Yeast II dated April last year which I smacked last Saturday and by the looks of it will swell up ok as the pack is well on its way this morning.
Anyone used this yeast before? I am thinking of making an APA with it. Reckon it will be ok?
I will make some English Pale ales from it as well but am putting out the feelers for advice from anyone that has used it.

cheers
johnno

I have used this once, to make an ESB, which I am quite happy with. I fermented quite cool, around 16-17 degrees, and its given me a clean ale with strong malt flavours. I hear it gets quite fruity at temperatures over 20 degrees.

One thing to watch out for is the yeast is quite flocculant, so a bit of rousing is required. But on the upside, the bottles were crystal clear and bright within 10 days.

barfridge said:
I have used this once, to make an ESB, which I am quite happy with. I fermented quite cool, around 16-17 degrees, and its given me a clean ale with strong malt flavours.
OK an ESB it shall be. Have not made one yet so its on the cards. I will make an APA as well with some amarillo and ferment at around 20C. Make a nice fruity ale.
One thing to watch out for is the yeast is quite flocculant, so a bit of rousing is required. But on the upside, the bottles were crystal clear and bright within 10 days.
Yes, I like the way some of these high flocculant yeasts clear up. Nice and sparkly. The Wyeast 1335 British Ale Yeast II is like that as is the Whitelabs 007 . These 2 are quite dry though.
Thanks BF

Anybody else got anything to say about this yeast?

johnno said:
I got a smack pack of the Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley Ale Yeast II dated April last year which I smacked last Saturday and by the looks of it will swell up ok as the pack is well on its way this morning.
[post="68421"][/post]​

Oh. and the other thing. This pack was ready to explode this morning. I will be making a starter quick smart when I get home.
Anyone else smacked such an old one before? And I dont mean your grandma.

johnno

Back