recipe suggestion for a partial APA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsta

Reaction score
G'day all,
just about got my gear sorted to try a partial, moving on from all extract.

Can anyone suggest a mind blowing recipe for an APA with either Citra / Amarillo & or Nelson Sauvin hops? and any tips would be much appreciated.

Going for a simple set up at first, esky mash, Nasa Burner, pot & immersion chiller. Nothing flash, i.e. no elaborate equipment or controls.

Also, with speciality grains, can these just be added to the mash or do you need to steep them separately as i do with all extract? and then add to the boil? (sorry if thats a stupid question)
Thx.

How big a boil pot do you have?
How much base grain do you want to use?

going for a 70ltr pot, hopefully will be big enough later on.

re - base grain, as much as required without going full AG, just want to give partials as much of a chance as i can.

I want to try a partial due to freight costs of grain, to see if i'm happy enough to settle on doing partials as opposed to AG.

I think i'll probably end up doing all partials for my APA lawn mowing beers, and then experiment with some darker ales as AG's later on down the track.

but i'm not there yet, want to take it one step at a time.

To be honest, with a 70L pot just do full AG. You are looking at the same amount of work for a product that will be good but not as good. Just jump in mate- I dont know of a brewer who has gone from AG back to extract. (time constraints being the only reason I could imagine).
IMO a partial will be not much better than the extract you are doing now. An AG will be significantly better.

But if you insist on partial thats your call. To give you an idea of a PA recipe try this:

AG- 23L assuming 70% efficiency
4kg Pale Malt
0.75kg Munich
0.25kg Crystal 50.

Mash 60min at 66C.

60 minute addition of Amarillo for 15IBU
10 minute equal additions of Citra and Amarillo for 10IBU
5 minute addition of Citra for 5IBU
Ferment with US05.

If you want to partial mash replace 2.5kg of Pale malt with a tin of Pale extract. (see all the work is still to be done for a saving of 1kg in freight).

The base and spec grains should be mashed together for 60minutes at 66C.

This is all top of the head stuff so you may want to punch these into a calculator but basically this will give you a very tasty drop around the 5% (about 1.050 OG) mark and 30IBU.

I agree. there is really no advantage doing a partial over all-grain. It's exactly the same process taking the same amount as time as all-grain but you spoil your beautiful fresh wort with extract goo!!

ok thanks guys, i'll take that on board….
and thanks for sharing your recipe Droopy Brew, looks enticing!
cheers.

Latest posts

Back