Recipe Review + Technique - Cpa, Hallertau Mittelfruh, Pilsen Ldme Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
I just lost my entire post due to internet issues, so lets start again:

So its time for my second brew (1st brew was a LCBA clone, turned out pretty good). I walked around grain and grape and get these ingredients with the help of the shop guy:

Ingredients:
Briess CBW Pilsen Light Dried Malt Extract 1Kg
Coopers Austalian Pale Ale 1.7kg (also called CPA on this site?)
Hallertau Mittelfruh 40g
US40 yeast

I'd like a fruity and strong (would like it towards 5% alc)

I'm after comments on:
- does my brewmate recipe look OK?
- hopping regime - time, amounts
- cold condition - how long and what temp?
- any other problems/comments

Here's what it looks like in brewmate - xml attached (first time user):

auspaleale2.jpg

Technique (following Palmer's How to Brew:
- boil 11L water, add to fermenter
- boil another 10.5, add malt, then can
- wait for hot break (will I get one?)
- hop additons x 3
- cool wort
- splash into fermenter, check temp, cool more if required
- pitch rehydro'd yeast at around 23 deg
- glad wrap top, move fermentor around to mix it in
- put in frige at 18c, moving to 20c after 6 days to 2 more, then cold conditon at ??

I'm not brewing until Tuesday night so I still have time to run down to the shops for any additional materials (perhaps some more malt extract for more alcohol and carapils, chrystals)

All comments, suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.

View attachment AusPaleAle_longerBoil.xml

Couple of issues, firstly the tin of Coopers PA will add quite a lot bitterness, you don't seem to have accounted for that in the recipe. IIRC all Coopers tins are listed here on AHB somewhere but failing that head to the Coopers site to look it up, from memory the tin should add about 24IBU when diluted to 23L. So those extra hops, while adding some usually welcome late hops character will almost double the bitterness, probably to OTT levels. :eek:
Don't concern yourself with hot break, the malt extract has already been mashed, boiled, whirlpooled and then concentrated, while hot break is largely an all- grain thing and this is a kit & bits recipe.
Not sure of Hal Mit would suit CPA, its a noble hop and better suited to lagers, but there's no harm in trying something different.
I have to fly just now but there's a few things for the daytime crowd to consider before you make it tonight. Good luck with it! :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the tips, the bitterness had crossed my mind - as I did read the cans are pre-hopped - good pick up. Hadn't heard the hot break mentioned in extract forums and wasn't sure if it was assumed as part of the brewing process.

Will play with brewmate a bit more to correct the IBU and experiment with the bitterness but it's sounding like perhaps a small amount (15g) of dry hopping may be all that's required.

A few more things:
1. Can anyone recommend a malt to boost up the alcohol a bit? 500gs of something I suspect.
2. I used carapils in my first brew and got a pretty got head on them, and I like body - would this be a reasonable thing to do with this brew?
3. Would a bit of chrystal be of benefit?

Cheers,

Cam.

20L in the laundry sink with a s-load of ice! is there something I should know?

You should know this. 20L of boiling hot water will chew up ice faster than you think. I did something similar to this waaaaaay back a few times and got the fastest results by drilling a hole in the sink plug, about the size of a biro, and having the water constantly running to maintain the level and form a kind of slurry.
Probably not the most efficient way to go, but I moved on shortly after so never bothered refining it.

You should know this. 20L of boiling hot water will chew up ice faster than you think. I did something similar to this waaaaaay back a few times and got the fastest results by drilling a hole in the sink plug, about the size of a biro, and having the water constantly running to maintain the level and form a kind of slurry.
Probably not the most efficient way to go, but I moved on shortly after so never bothered refining it.

The wort was only going be 10L in a 20L pot (sorry for the confusion) is it better just use less water with the wort say 5L and add the rest out of the pre boil/tap?

Why do afull boil?
Would be easier to do a miniboil of @5L with a ten minute hop addition zero and maybe dry hop. Should have enough bitterness from the tin with the ten minute adding a little extra. Use between 1-2 g/L for the hop additions depending on how hoppy you like it. For fruity maybe galaxy or nelson ?

Why do afull boil?
Would be easier to do a miniboil of @5L with a ten minute hop addition zero and maybe dry hop. Should have enough bitterness from the tin with the ten minute adding a little extra. Use between 1-2 g/L for the hop additions depending on how hoppy you like it. For fruity maybe galaxy or nelson ?

Thanks, sorry I've modified my post above, didn't make it clear it was 10L but 5L sounds better. The hops were a 'in the shop' advice which doesn't appear to help me with the flavour I'm going for.

Back