Recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domfergo

Reaction score
Gday All

Going to do my last BIAB for a while tomorrow on my trusty 70l robinox from beer belly. Going to start putting some holes in it over the weekend for its conversion to a braumeister clone. Anyway i have a few bits of this and that left over on the shelf and i am putting it out to the AHB community to put forward some ideas for a send off beer for my trusty old rig.

I was thinking along the lines of some kind of IPA, never really done any IPA's and not sure if the base malts will suit but happy to try anyway. I want to do a double batch and the only constant will be a smack pack of wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast that needs using. I would like to use as much of the grain as possible! Percentages or rough ideas are fine, i will run it all threw beer smith before I brew.

Here is list of the Inventory
Whirlfloc TabletFining 49
Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 0.72 kg
Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 2.30 kg
Pilsner (Weyermann)Grain 3.88 kg
Vienna Malt (Weyermann)Grain 3.00 kg
Amarillo GoldHop 220.00 g
CascadeHop 454.00 g
GalaxyHop 180.00 g
Nelson SauvinHop 40.00 g
SummitHop 454.00 g
WillametteHop 454.00 g
Malto-DextrineOther 17.63 oz
Yeast NutrientOthe 4.00 tsp
Irish AleYeast 1.0 pkg

Thanks in advance!

Dom

Gday All

Going to do my last BIAB for a while tomorrow on my trusty 70l robinox from beer belly. Going to start putting some holes in it over the weekend for its conversion to a braumeister clone. Anyway i have a few bits of this and that left over on the shelf and i am putting it out to the AHB community to put forward some ideas for a send off beer for my trusty old rig.

I was thinking along the lines of some kind of IPA, never really done any IPA's and not sure if the base malts will suit but happy to try anyway. I want to do a double batch and the only constant will be a smack pack of wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast that needs using. I would like to use as much of the grain as possible! Percentages or rough ideas are fine, i will run it all threw beer smith before I brew.

Here is list of the Inventory
Whirlfloc TabletFining 49
Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 0.72 kg
Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 2.30 kg
Pilsner (Weyermann)Grain 3.88 kg
Vienna Malt (Weyermann)Grain 3.00 kg
Amarillo GoldHop 220.00 g
CascadeHop 454.00 g
GalaxyHop 180.00 g
Nelson SauvinHop 40.00 g
SummitHop 454.00 g
WillametteHop 454.00 g
Malto-DextrineOther 17.63 oz
Yeast NutrientOthe 4.00 tsp
Irish AleYeast 1.0 pkg

Thanks in advance!

Dom

You could make an irish ale substituting the base malt with vienna and then making up the difference with the pilsner. Chuck in some crystal 60 (about 8% of the grist) and irish it up with the chocolate malt to give you about 32IBC. Chuck in some willamette at 60 minutes to about 25 IBUs and you've got a ghetto irish red.

Single infusion at 67 aiming for an OG of around 1058.

Chuck the numbers into *insert brewing software here* to adjust as you see fit.

Looks like you only have enough base for a single batch.

If it were me and that's all I had, I'd use all the base + 250-300g crystal. Add in 100-200 g of choc if you feel like it and want to make a US brown. Otherwise easy APA/ low end AIPA.

Hop with Cascade and amarillo to anything between 35 and 60 IBU, depending on preference with at least half your IBU coming from small, frequent additions every 5 minutes or so after 30 mins.

Never used willamette or summit, don't like galaxy or NS which is why I haven't included any of those.

Not a beer I've brewed but close enough and the techniques I've used before.

Either step 62/68 or single infusion at 64.

With 1084 being your yeast choice, I'd favour the American brown.

Personally, I'd think about brewing something I wanted to brew on the new rig so I could see what difference the different processes make.

with at least half your IBU coming from small, frequent additions every 5 minutes or so after 30 mins.

Hey Mants,

I've noticed (mainly in WAYB and those threads) you do 5min multiple additions. What is the reasoning behind this? I'm too lazy to do more that 2 kettle additions, but curious about the reasons why others do regular, frequent late kettle additions.

Goomba

Just seems to give a really nice hop profile. Obviously you are playing around with the bittering versus flavour/aroma contributions just a little bit more - getting a bit more bitter from one, a bit more flavour from another etc.

Give it a crack one day with one of your favourite hoppy recipes and see if you notice a difference that you like.

I do it with any apa or IPA (UK or US). Originally got the idea from Maple who doesn't seems to post anymore.

Thanks for the replies, sorry I have not been back on since. Got a bit tangled up trying to empty one of my full kegs.

Never really used Vienna and not sure why I have it. Is it not possible to use it to get a lot of my fermentables from like a base malt. The same way people use 100% Munich? That was my line of thinking when I suggested a double batch. All the pils and Munich with some crystal or choc. And a bucket of hops....

Been making a lot of apa's lately and wanted to try to get away from it a bit.

A brown or irish ale might be on the cards then... I do have some us-05 dry yeast I am just trying to get rid of an ageing 1084

The build is still a bit off yet and the supplies are low! Need to fill some kegs and will get more supplies for the new system!

If anyone is coming to Kakadu and willing to throw a couple of bags of base malts in the boot I will do you a good deal on a helicopter flight :)

Thanks

Dom

The recipe should be boss ... not the ingredients pile.

Nick my misses is boss, and nothing I do or say will change that! ;)

Thanks for the replies, sorry I have not been back on since. Got a bit tangled up trying to empty one of my full kegs.

Never really used Vienna and not sure why I have it. Is it not possible to use it to get a lot of my fermentables from like a base malt. The same way people use 100% Munich? That was my line of thinking when I suggested a double batch. All the pils and Munich with some crystal or choc. And a bucket of hops....

It is possible but there's no munich in your list. You have less than 7kg of base according to your list, unless I've missed something.

@ Nick - I generally agree for my own brewing (not much of a leftovers man with cooking or brewing) but to answer the question as asked makes more sense. eg. What can I do with these ingredients........?

Strange grain bill.... Check
Strange grain mill.... Check

Misses just finished protein rest, or resting after her protein (might of "screwed" this step)... Check

Think I got all the info I need, thanks! :lol:

Just intuiting here, but with that sort of grain bill, I recon you could put a major dent in it and use all of your grain, with the possible exception being some of the chocolate; by having a go at a kinda Russian Imperial - malty, black as the ace of spades, and to get the strength up, cut down on the water bill - you don't have to max the pot out. As for hop flavours well, play with similarities based on what you got and then vac freeze the remainder (that won't take up space, ditto for what's left of your chocolate malt...) but, that's where I'd start looking or at strong porters.

TT

Just brew all of it. All hops at 10 mins.
Call it an imperial double mongrel ale.

Just brew all of it. All hops at 10 mins.
Call it an imperial double mongrel ale.

he he he. I was thinking along those lines.

Pour all the hops into a bowl and chuck bits in at indeterminate intervals during the boil. That way you'll never be able to reproduce it again. It will either be a cracker of a brew or a shocker. No weight measurements, no interval measurements, brew by the seat of your pants!! However, I would probably start putting hops in later in the boil so as not to have too much bitterness.

Name suggestions:
-> The Cupboard Clearer
-> BBTBIAB
-> Dubble dare ya

Almost 2kg of hops in a standard batch...?

Why not sir!

Super hoppy BIPA

:icon_drool2:

Even the the 2.3kg of crystal?

Never used much more the 300g a batch, and I like my crystal. Anyone ever used 25% in a batch? Does it just turn out really malty and almost like caramel syrup. I have the hops there to try and balance it out but I am not so sure about it.

Bbtbiab?

It would be an interesting experiment for sure but I wouldn't recommend you doing it.

I'd lean towards Manticle's suggestion for an American Brown. Some of the Willamette would go pretty nice in it as a big bittering addition IMO.

Latest posts

Back