Recipe Ideas Using Simpson's Maris Otter And Wlp-001

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
G'day.

In a bit of a quandry. I have a WLP-001 starter on the go that I need to use up next weekend and 7.5 kg of Simpson's Maris Otter.

I also have:

Carapils
Carared
Black Malt
Chocolate Malt
Crystal 54
Crystal 90

and absolutely no hops in the freezer, so I'll be making a trip to the LHBS before the brew, so I can get whatever hops and spec malts (or base malts) required.

I normally brew IPA's of various sorts and have around 100 longnecks worth of various sorts of IPA and Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale on the shelves currently, so I'd prefer to do something a bit different that will go OK with the WLP-001. I don't want to stuff around developing my own recipe, so I thought I'd supplicate myself to the forum for ideas. I'm pretty much open to anything that isn't a US IPA or NSSA. Something a bit outside of my normal scope as a fairly new brewer in other words. Something easyish, and maybe not a barleywine or RIS or anything like that.

Cheers, beerdos. You ideas are much appreciated.

FB

IMO you can make almost any APA, ESB with the Maris otter + some crystal, it wouldn't hurt throwing in some of the carapils either, I'm relatively new to AG but I've been having a lot of success with this combination

maybe an ESB of some description perhaps, throw in some fuggles, ekg if you're not to worried about using a US yeast

you could try the landlord http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=680 you don't have the yeast for it so it won't be the same but I'm sure it won't be undrinkable with a american yeast

If you want to stick to style - an APA

have a crack at this one: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=502
Just stick to the base malt + crystal and lots of Amarillo

Maybe an irish red ale or scottish ale, they're supposed to be pretty clean.

sorta something like this but with your malts and yeast.

I currently have on tap a blonde ale made on 100% Golden Promise- no spec malts or sugaz or adjuncts, just the Thomas Fawcett. Simcoe to about 30 IBU and keg hopped with some Cascade flowers in a Teaball - done on Wyeast All American ale which I guess is similar to the WLP one. Around 5.2% ABV fermented at 18 - should work great with MO

Mothers Milk

:)

I recently made the can you brew it Epic Pale Ale clone. It's mostly Golden Promise with a bucketload of cascade hops. I thought the golden promise would get hidden by all those hops but it still shines through. Something similar should be easy enough to do with Maris Otter. I used wyeast american ale 2, but I'm sure WLP001 would be fine too.

You could brew an American Brown Ale. Say 1.055 OG, chuck in some crystal (5-10%) and chocolate (up to 4%) for colour and whatever American hops (up to around 40IBUs) you like.

american amber. 80% MO, 20% carared. c-hops to 30-35 ibus with a lot of late hops.

Cheers for the replies folks. Lots of good ideas there!

How does this sound for an American Brown Ale? I've used the hops I have, because I know I'm going to be doing an IPA with the same in the near future.

BB American Brown Ale
American Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.200
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 19.3 (EBC): 38.0
Bitterness (IBU): 32.7 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (86.54%)
0.250 kg Crystal 60 (4.81%)
0.250 kg Crystal 90 (4.81%)
0.200 kg Chocolate (3.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Warrior Pellet (15.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
5.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
10.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.8 g/L)
40.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
8.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
4.0 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
3.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
8.0 g Brewbrite @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

3 step Infusion 52/20, 66/60, 72/10
Fermented at 18C with WLP001 - California Ale

Notes
----------------

CaSO4 CaCl2 MgSO4

Sparge Water Additions (grams): 0.8 2.1 1.1

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back